Real Estate Investment Trusts and Calendar Anomalies: Revisited
Initial research on calendar anomalies has shown their existence for real estate investment trusts (REITs) and for the general stock market. Recent studies of the general stock market, however, have shown that these anomalies have disappeared or been reversed over time. The present research updates existing REIT calendar anomaly research through the use of value-weighted and equal-weighted REIT indices and the decomposition of income and capital returns. From 1994 to 2002, the presence of calendar anomalies is sensitive to the use of REIT index type as well as the dividend yield and capital yield components. The use of the value-weighted index eliminates the appearance of calendar anomalies in REITs.
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kamara, Avraham, 1997. "New Evidence on the Monday Seasonal in Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(1), pages 63-84, January.
- Jorge Brusa & Pu Liu & Craig Schulman, 2000. "The Weekend Effect, 'Reverse' Weekend Effect, and Firm Size," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5&6), pages 555-574.
- Su Han Chan & Wai-Kin Leung & Ko Wang, 2005. "Changes in REIT Structure and Stock Performance: Evidence from the Monday Stock Anomaly," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 89-120, 03.
- Colwell, Peter F & Park, Hun Y, 1990. "Seasonality and Size Effects: The Case of Real-Estate-Related Investment," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 251-259, September.
- Friday, H Swint & Peterson, David R, 1997. "January Return Seasonality in Real Estate Investment Trusts: Information vs. Tax-Loss Selling Effects," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(1), pages 33-51, Spring.
- Willard McIntosh & Youguo Liang & Daniel L. Tompkins, 1991. "An Examination of the Small-Firm Effect within the REIT Industry," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(1), pages 9-18.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Seyed Mehdian & Mark J. Perry, 2001. "The Reversal of the Monday Effect: New Evidence from US Equity Markets," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(7&8), pages 1043-1065.
- Ogden, Joseph P, 1990. " Turn-of-Month Evaluations of Liquid Profits and Stock Returns: A Common Explanation for the Monthly and January Effects," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1259-1272, September.
- Arnold L. Redman & Herman Manakyan & Kartono Liano, 1997. "Real Estate Investment Trusts and Calendar Anomalies," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(1), pages 19-28.
- Ariel, Robert A, 1990. " High Stock Returns before Holidays: Existence and Evidence on Possible Causes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1611-1626, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)