Mortgage Payment as a Portion of Income: A Better Solution
We propose a program that would further promote housing privatization in China. In addition to operating its current Housing Savings Fund program, the government could guarantee loans, with payments capped at affordable levels or spread out over workable payment periods. Such a program would balance efficiency with fairness by encouraging market forces, while addressing practical necessities (lenders?rights, corruption, labor mobility) so that privatization could relieve the burden on government and taxpayers. Net benefits would arise through the private market’s greater efficiency in managing housing resources.
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony Yanxiang Gu, 2002. "Valuing the Option to Purchase an Asset at a Proportional Discount," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 25(1), pages 99-109.
- Peter Kemp, 1990. "Income-related Assistance with Housing Costs: a Cross-national Comparison," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 27(6), pages 795-808, December.
- Edgar O. Olsen, 2000. "The Cost-Effectiveness of Alternative Methods of Delivering Housing Subsidies," Virginia Economics Online Papers 351, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Ramon Moreno, 2002. "Reforming China's banking system," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue may31.
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1988. "Privatization: An Economic Analysis," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262720116, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:06:n:01:2003:p:121-135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.