Impact of foreign direct investment on Croatian manufacturing exports
The exports of Croatian manufacturing industry have been stagnating over the last decade or so. Over the same period there have been relatively high inflows of foreign direct investment (FDI) into industry. The aim of this paper is to examine, after controlling for other potentially significant variables, whether these inflows have had an impact on export performance. Using the panel data approach for 21 manufacturing industry sectors over the period between 1996 and 2002, it is found that FDI has positively and significantly affected exports, but the extent of this impact was relatively low. This implies that there is a potential for improving the export performance of Croatian manufacturing industry by attracting more FDI into this sector. Policy makers should try to enhance the potential positive effects of FDI by targeting specific export-oriented greenfield foreign investment, and, in addition, implement measures to increase potential spillover effects.
Volume (Year): 29 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.fintp.hr/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry, Frank & Bradley, John, 1997.
"FDI and Trade: The Irish Host-Country Experience,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1798-1811, November.
- Barry, F & Bradley, J, 1997. ""FDI and Trade : The Irish Host-Country Experience"," Papers 97/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Salvador Barrios & Holger Goerg & Eric Strobl, 2003.
"Explaining Firms' Export Behaviour: R&D, Spillovers and the Destination Market,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 475-496, 09.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GÖRG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, . "Explaining firms' export behaviour: R&D, spillovers and the destination market," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1654, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alexandre Rekine & Patrick Paul Walsh, 1998.
"European Trade and Foreign Direct Investment. U-Shaping Industrial Output in Central and Eastern Europe: Theory and Evidence,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
7398, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Patrick P. Walsh & Alexander Repkine, 1998. "European Trade and Foreign Direct Investment U-Shaping Industrial Output in Central and Eastern Europe; Theory and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 98/150, International Monetary Fund.
- Markusen, James R., 2002.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James R. Markusen, 2004. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, June.
- Kunst, Robert M. & Marin, Dalia, 1989.
"On Exports and Productivity: A Causal Analysis,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
3113, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Nauro F. Campos & Yuko Kinoshita, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
438, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 398-419, June.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3417, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2002. "Home and Host Country Effects of FDI," NBER Working Papers 9293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haishun Sun, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Export Performance in China," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 317-336.
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004.
"Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003. "Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," IZA Discussion Papers 944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: A dynamic panel analysis,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19965, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Tihomir Stucka, 2004. "The Effects of Exchange Rate Change on the Trade Balance in Croatia," IMF Working Papers 04/65, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipf:finteo:v:29:y:2005:i:2:p:131-158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Fabris)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.