On Exports and Productivity: A Causal Analysis
The causes of the wide variation in growth rates between countries have been debated by theorists of economic growth. Different studies have shown these disparities between growth rates largely to have been caused by different rates of increase in productivity per unit of factor input. The observed comovement between productivity and export growth suggest a direct link between these two variables. The paper explores the causal relationship between productivity and exports based on Austrian data using time series analysis. The causality analysis indicates no causal link from exports to productivity while the null of no causality from productivity to exports has to be rejected at conventional levels. Copyright 1989 by MIT Press.
Volume (Year): 71 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Orley Ashenfelter & David Card, 1982.
"Time Series Representation of Economic Variables and Alternative Models of the Labor Market,"
528, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Ashenfelter, Orley C & Card, David, 1982. "Time Series Representations of Economic Variables and Alternative Models of the Labour Market," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(5), pages 761-81, Special I.
- Leamer, Edward E., 1985. "Vector autoregressions for causal inference?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 255-304, January.
- Kunst, Robert & Neusser, Klaus, 1986. "A forecasting comparison of some var techniques," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 447-456.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1978. "Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bhag78-1, October.
- Balassa, Bela, 1978. "Exports and economic growth : Further evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 181-189, June.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:71:y:1989:i:4:p:699-703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Pollock-Nelson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.