How Does the Variance of Product Ratings Matter?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Anita Elberse & Jehoshua Eliashberg, 2003. "Demand and Supply Dynamics for Sequentially Released Products in International Markets: The Case of Motion Pictures," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(3), pages 329-354.
- Monic Sun, 2011. "Disclosing Multiple Product Attributes," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 195-224, March.
- Yubo Chen & Jinhong Xie, 2005. "Third-Party Product Review and Firm Marketing Strategy," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(2), pages 218-240, February.
- Chrysanthos Dellarocas, 2006. "Strategic Manipulation of Internet Opinion Forums: Implications for Consumers and Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(10), pages 1577-1593, October.
- Liang Guo & J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2007. "Consumer Stockpiling and Price Competition in Differentiated Markets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 827-858, December.
- Yubo Chen & Jinhong Xie, 2008. "Online Consumer Review: Word-of-Mouth as a New Element of Marketing Communication Mix," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(3), pages 477-491, March.
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso VÃ¤limÃ¤ki, 2006. "Dynamic Pricing of New Experience Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(4), pages 713-743, August.
- Justin P. Johnson & David P. Myatt, 2006.
"On the Simple Economics of Advertising, Marketing, and Product Design,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 756-784, June.
- David P. Myatt & Justin P. Johnson, 2004. "On the Simple Economics of Advertising, Marketing, and Product Design," Economics Series Working Papers 185, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- West, Patricia M & Broniarczyk, Susan M, 1998. " Integrating Multiple Opinions: The Role of Aspiration Level on Consumer Response to Critic Consensus," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 38-51, June.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Yu (Jeffrey) Hu & Michael D. Smith, 2003.
"Consumer Surplus in the Digital Economy: Estimating the Value of Increased Product Variety at Online Booksellers,"
INFORMS, vol. 49(11), pages 1580-1596, November.
- Brynjolfsson, Erik & Smith, Michael D. & Yu, (Jeffrey) Hu, 2003. "Consumer Surplus in the Digital Economy: Estimating the Value of Increased Product Variety at Online Booksellers," Working papers 4305-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132-132.
- David Godes & Dina Mayzlin, 2004. "Using Online Conversations to Study Word-of-Mouth Communication," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(4), pages 545-560, June.
- Monic Sun & Feng Zhu, 2011. "Ad Revenue and Content Commercialization: Evidence from Blogs," Working Papers 11-32, NET Institute.
- Xiaoquan (Michael) Zhang & Feng Zhu, 2011. "Group Size and Incentives to Contribute: A Natural Experiment at Chinese Wikipedia," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(4), pages 1601-1615, June.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta & Shyam Gopinath & Sriram Venkataraman, 2010. "The Effects of Online User Reviews on Movie Box Office Performance: Accounting for Sequential Rollout and Aggregation Across Local Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(5), pages 944-957, 09-10.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dobrescu, Loretti I. & Luca, Michael & Motta, Alberto, 2013. "What makes a critic tick? Connected authors and the determinants of book reviews," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 96(C), pages 85-103.
- Zegners, Dainis, 2017. "Building an Online Reputation with Free Content: Evidence from the E-book Market," Annual Conference 2017 (Vienna): Alternative Structures for Money and Banking 168293, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Susan F. Lu, 2016. "The Role of Donations in Quality Disclosure: Evidence from Nonprofit Nursing Homes Full Access," American Journal of Health Economics, MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 431-462, Fall.
- Schneider, Matthew J. & Gupta, Sachin, 2016. "Forecasting sales of new and existing products using consumer reviews: A random projections approach," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 243-256.
- Fernando Branco & Monic Sun & J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2012. "Optimal Search for Product Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 58(11), pages 2037-2056, November.
- Yusong Wang & David Bell, 2015. "Consumer store choice in Asian markets," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 293-308, September.
- Sharapudinov, S. & Zezerova, V. & Storchevoy, M., 2017. "Determinants of Online Word-of-Mouth: Evidence from Durable Goods Market," Working Papers 8721, Graduate School of Management, St. Petersburg State University.
- Gal Oestreicher-Singer & Arun Sundararajan, 2012. "The Visible Hand? Demand Effects of Recommendation Networks in Electronic Markets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 58(11), pages 1963-1981, November.
- Runyu Chen & Wei Xu, 2017. "The determinants of online customer ratings: a combined domain ontology and topic text analytics approach," Electronic Commerce Research, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 31-50, March.
- Marcel Lichters & Marko Sarstedt & Bodo Vogt, 2015. "On the practical relevance of the attraction effect: A cautionary note and guidelines for context effect experiments," Business & Information Systems Engineering: The International Journal of WIRTSCHAFTSINFORMATIK, Springer;Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. (GI), vol. 5(1), pages 1-19, June.
- Christian Matt & Thomas Hess, 2016. "Product fit uncertainty and its effects on vendor choice: an experimental study," Electronic Markets, Springer;IIM University of St. Gallen, vol. 26(1), pages 83-93, February.
- Ronald L. Hess & Lawrence Ring, 2016. "The influence of the source and valence of word-of-mouth information on post-failure and post-recovery evaluations," Service Business, Springer;Pan-Pacific Business Association, vol. 10(2), pages 319-343, June.
- Wang, Jia-Hua & Guo, Qiang & Yang, Kai & Zhang, Yi-Lu & Han, Jingti & Liu, Jian-Guo, 2016. "Popularity and user diversity of online objects," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 461(C), pages 480-486.
- Mehrafshan, Nima & Goerke, Björn & Clement, Michel, 2016. "The Effect of Unexpected Chart Positions on the Firm Value of Music Labels. An Event Study of Album Success," EconStor Preprints 142161, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Sungha Jang & Ashutosh Prasad & Brian Ratchford, 2012. "How consumers use product reviews in the purchase decision process," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 825-838, September.
- repec:eee:proeco:v:191:y:2017:i:c:p:97-112 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yinbo Feng & Ming Hu, 2017. "Blockbuster or Niche? Competitive Strategy under Network Effects," Working Papers 17-13, NET Institute.
- Situmeang, Frederik B.I. & Leenders, Mark A.A.M. & Wijnberg, Nachoem M., 2014. "History matters: The impact of reviews and sales of earlier versions of a product on consumer and expert reviews of new editions," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 73-83.
- repec:eee:proeco:v:191:y:2017:i:c:p:178-193 is not listed on IDEAS
- Feng Zhu & Qihong Liu, 2014. "Competing with Complementors: An Empirical Look at Amazon.com," Harvard Business School Working Papers 15-044, Harvard Business School, revised Feb 2016.
- Archishman Chakraborty & Rick Harbaugh, 2012. "Persuasive Puffery," Working Papers 2012-05, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- repec:spr:amsrev:v:5:y:2015:i:1:d:10.1007_s13162-015-0066-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yabing Jiang & Hong Guo, 2012. "Design of Consumer Review Systems and Product Pricing," Working Papers 12-10, NET Institute.
- Zhang, Tao & Li, Gang & Cheng, T.C.E. & Lai, Kin Keung, 2017. "Welfare economics of review information: Implications for the online selling platform owner," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 184(C), pages 69-79.
More about this item
Keywordsinformation transmission; product ratings; social media; user-generated content;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:58:y:2012:i:4:p:696-707. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/inforea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.