The Impact of Demand Aggregation Through Delayed Component Allocation in an Assemble-to-Order System
We consider an assemble-to-order system in which multiple products are assembled from a common component and a set of product-dedicated components. Component capacities are chosen prior to a finite-horizon selling season, and the common component is allocated to the products based on observed demands. We propose a collection of allocation mechanisms involving varying degrees of demand aggregation, ranging from a scheme under which all demands are observed prior to making the allocation decision to allocations made for each arriving demand. In this context, we explore the impact of the allocation scheme on sales, profits, and capacity decisions, including the degree of capacity imbalance. We find that the benefit from increased demand aggregation is closely linked to the degree of capacity imbalance: profit gains from delayed allocation tend to be higher in systems in which the optimal capacity portfolio is highly unbalanced when the allocation decision is made after observing all demands. We develop insights into what detailed system parameters lead to the largest gains from demand aggregation and also explore the trade-offs associated with the choice of an allocation scheme when customers exhibit impatience if the allocation scheme forces them to wait to be served. This paper was accepted by Ananth Iyer, operations and supply chain management.
Volume (Year): 57 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yigal Gerchak & Michael J. Magazine & A. Bruce Gamble, 1988. "Component Commonality with Service Level Requirements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(6), pages 753-760, June.
- Yossi Aviv & Awi Federgruen, 2001. "Capacitated Multi-Item Inventory Systems with Random and Seasonally Fluctuating Demands: Implications for Postponement Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(4), pages 512-531, April.
- Kenneth R. Baker & Michael J. Magazine & Henry L. W. Nuttle, 1986. "The Effect of Commonality on Safety Stock in a Simple Inventory Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(8), pages 982-988, August.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem, 2003. "Commissioned Paper: Capacity Management, Investment, and Hedging: Review and Recent Developments," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(4), pages 269-302, July.
- Jayashankar M. Swaminathan & Sridhar R. Tayur, 1998. "Managing Broader Product Lines through Delayed Differentiation Using Vanilla Boxes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages S161-S172, December.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Van Mieghem, Jan A., 1999. "Multi-resource investment strategies: Operational hedging under demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 17-29, February.
- Fitzsimons, Gavan J, 2000. " Consumer Response to Stockouts," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 249-66, September.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem & Maqbool Dada, 1999. "Price Versus Production Postponement: Capacity and Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(12), pages 1639-1649, December.
- Yalçin Akçay & Susan H. Xu, 2004. "Joint Inventory Replenishment and Component Allocation Optimization in an Assemble-to-Order System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 99-116, January.
- Bish, Ebru K. & Lin, Kyle Y. & Hong, Seong-Jong, 2008. "Allocation of flexible and indivisible resources with decision postponement and demand learning," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(2), pages 429-441, June.
- Tong Wang & Beril L. Toktay, 2008. "Inventory Management with Advance Demand Information and Flexible Delivery," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(4), pages 716-732, April.
- Hau L. Lee & Christopher S. Tang, 1998. "Variability Reduction Through Operations Reversal," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(2), pages 162-172, February.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem, 1998. "Investment Strategies for Flexible Resources," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(8), pages 1071-1078, August.
- Jing-Sheng Song & Yao Zhao, 2009. "The Value of Component Commonality in a Dynamic Inventory System with Lead Times," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 11(3), pages 493-508, March.
- Stephen A. Smith & John C. Chambers & Eli Shlifer, 1980. "Note---Optimal Inventories Based on Job Completion Rate for Repairs Requiring Multiple Items," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(8), pages 849-854, August.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem, 2004. "Note--Commonality Strategies: Value Drivers and Equivalence with Flexible Capacity and Inventory Substitution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(3), pages 419-424, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:57:y:2011:i:6:p:1154-1171. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.