The Value of Component Commonality in a Dynamic Inventory System with Lead Times
Component commonality has been widely recognized as a key factor in achieving product variety at low cost. Yet the theory on the value of component commonality is rather limited in the inventory literature. The existing results were built primarily on single-period models or periodic-review models with zero lead times. In this paper, we consider a continuous-review system with positive lead times. We find that although component commonality is in general beneficial, its value depends strongly on component costs, lead times, and dynamic allocation rules. Under certain conditions, several previous findings based on static models do not hold. In particular, component commonality does not always generate inventory benefits under certain commonly used allocation rules. We provide insight on when component commonality generates inventory benefits and when it may not. We further establish some asymptotic properties that connect component lead times and costs to the impact of component commonality. Through numerical studies, we demonstrate the value of commonality and its sensitivity to various system parameters in between the asymptotic limits. In addition, we show how to evaluate the system under a new allocation rule, a modified version of the standard first-in-first-out rule.
Volume (Year): 11 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saif Benjaafar & Mohsen ElHafsi, 2006. "Production and Inventory Control of a Single Product Assemble-to-Order System with Multiple Customer Classes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(12), pages 1896-1912, December.
- Yalçin Akçay & Susan H. Xu, 2004. "Joint Inventory Replenishment and Component Allocation Optimization in an Assemble-to-Order System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 99-116, January.
- Yigal Gerchak & Michael J. Magazine & A. Bruce Gamble, 1988. "Component Commonality with Service Level Requirements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(6), pages 753-760, June.
- Hausman, Warren H. & Lee, Hau L. & Zhang, Alex X., 1998. "Joint demand fulfillment probability in a multi-item inventory system with independent order-up-to policies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 646-659, September.
- Preyas Desai & Sunder Kekre & Suresh Radhakrishnan & Kannan Srinivasan, 2001. "Product Differentiation and Commonality in Design: Balancing Revenue and Cost Drivers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 37-51, January.
- Thonemann, Ulrich W. & Bradley, James R., 2002. "The effect of product variety on supply-chain performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(3), pages 548-569, December.
- Jing-Sheng Song, 2000. "A Note on Assemble-to-Order Systems with Batch Ordering," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 739-743, May.
- Gary D. Eppen, 1979. "Note--Effects of Centralization on Expected Costs in a Multi-Location Newsboy Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(5), pages 498-501, May.
- Marshall Fisher & Kamalini Ramdas & Karl Ulrich, 1999. "Component Sharing in the Management of Product Variety: A Study of Automotive Braking Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(3), pages 297-315, March.
- Jing-Sheng Song, 2002. "Order-Based Backorders and Their Implications in Multi-Item Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(4), pages 499-516, April.
- V. Krishnan & Karl T. Ulrich, 2001. "Product Development Decisions: A Review of the Literature," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Jayashankar M. Swaminathan & Sridhar R. Tayur, 1998. "Managing Broader Product Lines through Delayed Differentiation Using Vanilla Boxes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages 161-172, December.
- David A. Collier, 1982. "Aggregate Safety Stock Levels and Component Part Commonality," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(11), pages 1296-1303, November.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- V. Krishnan & Saurabh Gupta, 2001. "Appropriateness and Impact of Platform-Based Product Development," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 52-68, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormsom:v:11:y:2009:i:3:p:493-508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.