Divisor-Based Biproportional Apportionment in Electoral Systems: A Real-Life Benchmark Study
Biproportional apportionment methods provide two-way proportionality in electoral systems where the electoral region is subdivided into electoral districts. The problem is to assign integral values to the elements of a matrix that are proportional to a given input matrix, and such that a set of row- and column-sum requirements are fulfilled. In a divisor-based method for biproportional apportionment, the problem is solved by computing appropriate row and column divisors, and by rounding the quotients. We present a comprehensive experimental evaluation of divisor-based biproportional apportionment in an electoral system context. By performing experiments on real-life benchmark instances (election data with multimember districts), we evaluate the general quality of divisor-based apportionments with respect to, e.g., deviation from quota, reversal orderings, and occurrences of ties. For example, we studied the frequency in which a party with a higher vote count in a district ended up with fewer seats in that district.
Volume (Year): 56 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence R. Ernst, 1994. "Appointment Methods for the House of Representatives and the Court Challenges," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(10), pages 1207-1227, October.
- Marjorie Gassner, 1988.
"Two-dimensional rounding for a quasi-proportional representation,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/232152, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gassner, Marjorie, 1988. "Two-dimensional rounding for a quasi-proportional representation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 529-538.
- Michel Balinski & Gabrielle Demange, 1989. "Algorithm for Proportional Matrices in Reals and Integers," Post-Print halshs-00585327, HAL.
- Marjorie B. Gassner, 1991. "Biproportional Delegations," Journal of Theoretical Politics, SAGE Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 321-342, July.
- Gaffke, Norbert & Pukelsheim, Friedrich, 2008. "Divisor methods for proportional representation systems: An optimization approach to vector and matrix apportionment problems," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 166-184, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:56:y:2010:i:2:p:373-387. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.