Evaluating Financial Risk in the Medicare Prospective Payment System
The Medicare Prospective Payment System (PPS) is analogous to an insurance scheme in which financial risk is mitigated through experience rating. In addition, risk is also mitigated through reinsurance provisions. Although a provider may not want this reinsurance, participation is mandatory. We develop a framework for evaluating financial risk under the PPS. We use this framework to examine optional reinsurance as an alternative risk mitigation mechanism. We illustrate an application of optional reinsurance using data for Medicare psychiatric inpatient services. Our analysis indicates that viable schemes exist for implementing optional reinsurance as a prospective payment option.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siegel, Carole & Jones, Kristine & Laska, Eugene & Meisner, Morris & Lin, Shang, 1992. "A risk-based prospective payment system that integrates patient, hospital and national costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-41, May.
- Keeler, Emmett B. & Carter, Grace M. & Trude, Sally, 1988. "Insurance aspects of DRG outlier payments," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 193-214, September.
- Lynk, William J., 1995. "The creation of economic efficiencies in hospital mergers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 507-530, December.
- Allen, Robin & Gertler, Paul J, 1991. "Regulation and the Provision of Quality to Heterogenous Consumers: The Case of Prospective Pricing of Medical Services," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 361-75, December.
- Ellis, Randall P. & McGuire, Thomas G., 1988. "Insurance principles and the design of prospective payment systems," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 215-237, September.
- David Dranove, 1987. "Rate-Setting by Diagnosis Related Groups and Hospital Specialization," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(3), pages 417-427, Autumn.
- Goodall, Colin, 1990. "A simple objective method for determining a percent standard in mixed reimbursement systems," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 253-271, November.
- Pope, Gregory C., 1990. "Using hospital-specific costs to improve the fairness of prospective reimbursement," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 237-251, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:3:p:316-329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.