Estimating structural macroeconomic shocks through long-run recursive restrictions on vector autoregressive models: the problem of identification
We demonstrate that a popular method of estimating underlying structural macroeconomic shocks and their impulse-response functions through recursive long-run structural restrictions on a vector autoregressive representation is not uniquely identified. We show, however, that it may be possible to infer additional qualitative restrictions to achieve identification. We illustrate with two applied examples, corresponding to a simple aggregate supply-aggregate demand framework for the USA and to a stochastic Mundell-Fleming-Dornbusch framework for the USA and Japan. The second example also illustrates how over-identifying restrictions of the underlying framework may be examined informally. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 9 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://jws-edcv.wiley.com/jcatalog/JournalsCatalogOrder/JournalOrder?PRINT_ISSN=1076-9307|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Taylor, Mark P, 1992.
"Macroeconomic Shocks, the ERM, and Tri-Polarity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
711, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew Shapiro & Mark Watson, 1988.
"Sources of Business Cycles Fluctuations,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1988, Volume 3, pages 111-156
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew D. Shapiro & Mark W. Watson, 1988. "Sources of Business Cycle Fluctuations," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 870, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Matthew D. Shapiro & Mark W. Watson, 1988. "Sources of Business Cycle Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 2589, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lutz Kilian, 1998. "Small-Sample Confidence Intervals For Impulse Response Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 218-230, May.
- Jordi Galí & Richard Clarida, 1993.
"Sources of real exchage rate fluctuations: How important are nominal shocks?,"
Economics Working Papers
66, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jan 1994.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali, 1994. "Sources of real exchange rate fluctuations: how important are nominal shocks?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Apr, pages -.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi, 1994. "Sources of real exchange-rate fluctuations: How important are nominal shocks?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 1-56, December.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi, 1994. "Sources of Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations: How Important are Nominal Shocks?," CEPR Discussion Papers 951, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali, 1994. "Sources of Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations: How Important are Nominal Shocks?," NBER Working Papers 4658, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Granger, Clive W.J., 2001. "Overview Of Nonlinear Macroeconometric Empirical Models," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 466-481, September.
- Ahmed, Shaghil & Ickes, Barry W. & Ping Wang & Byung Sam Yoo, 1993.
"International Business Cycles,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 335-359, June.
- David Hendry & Maozu Lu & Grayham E. Mizon, 2001. "Model Identification and Non-unique Structure," Economics Papers 2002-W10, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Lothian, James R. & Taylor, Mark P., 1997. "Real exchange rate behavior," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 945-954, December.
- Kilian, Lutz, 2001. "Impulse Response Analysis in Vector Autoregressions with Unknown Lag Order," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 161-79, April.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:5:y:2001:i:4:p:466-81 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijf:ijfiec:v:9:y:2004:i:3:p:229-244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.