The stabilization properties of fixed and floating exchange rate regimes
This paper investigates the price and output stabilization properties of fixed and floating exchange rates using a small open economy model. The performance of the two regimes is compared in the face of money demand, aggregate demand and aggregate supply shocks. It is shown that the ranking of the two regimes is extremely sensitive to the weighting of the objective function as between price and output stability, the type of shock impinging upon the economy, the values of structural parameters of the economy and institutional features such as the degree of wage indexation within the economy. The results obtained suggest that estimates of the income elasticity of money demand, the elasticity of aggregate demand to changes in both the real exchange rate and the real interest rate, and the degree of openness of the economy are likely to be important to policymakers when making the choice of exchange rate regime. Neither regime can be said to be dominant in all circumstances. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 9 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://jws-edcv.wiley.com/jcatalog/JournalsCatalogOrder/JournalOrder?PRINT_ISSN=1076-9307|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1993.
"Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
838, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flood, Robert P. & Rose, Andrew K., 1995. "Fixing exchange rates A virtual quest for fundamentals," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-37, August.
- Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose, 1993. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," NBER Working Papers 4503, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, R.P. & Rose, A.K., 1992. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," Papers 529, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Joshua Aizenman & Jacob A. Frenkel, 1984.
"Optimal Wage Indexation, Foreign-Exchange Intervention and Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
1329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Frenkel, Jacob A, 1985. "Optimal Wage Indexation, Foreign Exchange Intervention, and Monetary Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 402-23, June.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Joshua Aizenman, 1983.
"Aspects of the Optimal Management of Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
0748, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frenkel, Jacob A. & Aizenman, Joshua, 1982. "Aspects of the optimal management of exchange rates," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 231-256, November.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1984.
"Exchange market intervention under alternative forms of exogenous disturbances,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 279-297, November.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1985. "Exchange Market Intervention Under Alternative Forms of Exogenous Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 1289, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijf:ijfiec:v:9:y:2004:i:2:p:113-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.