Monetary policy in the UK
I was delighted to be asked to give the IFS Annual Lecture for 1994, not least because of my own connections with the Institute. These began with my participation in the meetings of IFS, and continued as a member of the Meade Committee in the 1970s. The work of that Committee — led by James Meade and Donald Ironside — proved to be one of the formative experiences of my professional career and led to my collaboration with John Kay on our book, The British Tax System. The Meade Committee Report represented a turning-point in the history of IFS, and since then it has gone from strength to strength under the successive leadership of Dick Taverne, John Kay, Bill Robinson and, now, Andrew Dilnot. I would like to take this opportunity to welcome the recent initiative to set up a Tax Law Review Committee. I know that IFS is seeking 50 sponsors to underwrite this venture, and I am happy to announce this evening that the Bank will be one of those 50.
Volume (Year): 15 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://www.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leeson, Robert, 1994. "A. W. H. Phillips M.B.E. (Military Division)," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 605-618, May.
- Robert E. Hall & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1994.
"Nominal Income Targeting,"
NBER Chapters,in: Monetary Policy, pages 71-94
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1993. "Nominal Income Targeting," NBER Working Papers 4439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, R.E. & Mankiw, N.G., 1993. "Nominal Income Targeting," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1650, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Laurence Ball, 1994. "What Determines the Sacrifice Ratio?," NBER Chapters,in: Monetary Policy, pages 155-193 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball, 1993. "What determines the sacrifice ratio?," Working Papers 93-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Laurence Ball, 1993. "What Determines the Sacrifice Ratio?," NBER Working Papers 4306, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1993. "The role of macroeconomic factors in growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 485-512, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:fistud:v:15:y:1994:i:3:p:109-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emma Hyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.