Foreign Technology, Spillovers, and R&D Policy
The authors study the appropriate domestic R&D policy in an asymmetric duopoly with R&D rivalry and technological spillovers from the more advanced firm. A 'foreign' and a 'home' firm compete over two periods on R&D and output. Initial foreign R&D lowers the cost of home's subsequent R&D improvements. The optimal policy balances the strategic incentive to reduce initial foreign R&D with the spillover incentive to increase it. If discounted home profits increase (decrease) with higher initial foreign R&D--the spillover (strategic) effect dominates--a tax (subsidy) to first-period home R&D is appropriate. Copyright 1997 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 38 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0020-6598 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhaskar Dutta & Kotaro Suzumura, 1993. "On the Sustainability of Collaborative R&D through Private Incentives," Discussion Paper Series a276, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1983.
"International R&D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy,"
NBER Working Papers
1192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spencer, Barbara J & Brander, James A, 1983. "International R & D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 707-22, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ier:iecrev:v:38:y:1997:i:2:p:405-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.