Competitive Dynamics Between MNOs in the Mobile Telecommunications Single Market: Lessons from the U.S. Experience
Within the framework of the Digital Single Market, the European Commission is paving the way for a Single Market in the European mobile telecommunications services by, among others, studying how to reduce regulation heterogeneity in the 27 fragmented national markets. This article aims to complement this initiative by analysing the U.S. experience and drawing lessons that the potential unified European mobile market can benefit from regarding the small operators in the market. Three major points are identified in order to create an internal market for mobile telecommunications with high competitive dynamics: to prevent market consolidation by a limited number of large operators, to block practices that raise barriers to competition by the dominant operators such as exclusive handset arrangements, and finally, to adopt harmonised and favourable measures to include second-mover operators in the competition.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 82 (2nd quarter)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 (0)467 144 444
Fax: 33 (0)467 144 400
Web page: http://www.idate.org/en/Home/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul de Bijl & Martin Peitz, 2002. "New Competition in Telecommunications Markets: Regulatory Pricing Principles," CESifo Working Paper Series 678, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Peitz, Martin, 2005. "Asymmetric access price regulation in telecommunications markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 341-358, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521551847 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521536721 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idt:journl:cs8206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BLAVIER Thomas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.