Captive offshoring by US multinationals: measuring the domestic employment impacts of vertical FDI
The complex nature of â€˜international outsourcingâ€™ makes it difficult to quantify its employment and broader impacts on national economies. Indeed, available evidence on the extent of â€˜offshoringâ€™ by US firms is scant, rendering analyses of its economic impacts as largely unreliable. Attempts to gauge its domestic employment effects have been limited both by definitional problems and data limitations, even when the immeasurable dimensions of offshoring are ignored. This work offers a quantitative assessment of the importance of â€˜captive offshoringâ€™ in relation to the entire US economy. Using government data that report foreign affiliate sales back to US parents, we provide â€˜back of the envelopeâ€™ estimates of the domestic employment effects of vertically motivated foreign direct investment. Although this trend has accelerated most rapidly within the services sector, the findings suggest that â€˜high-techâ€™ manufacturing industries are a major and growing source of job loss.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1/2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID==310|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Phillip Swagel, 2006.
"The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2120, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Gregory Mankiw, N. & Swagel, Phillip, 2006. "The politics and economics of offshore outsourcing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 1027-1056, July.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Phillip Swagel, 2006. "The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing," NBER Working Papers 12398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Phillip Swagel & N. Gregory Mankiw, 2005. "The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing," Working Papers 49881, American Enterprise Institute.
- Jagdish Bhagwati & Arvind Panagariya & T. N. Srinivasan, 2004.
"The Muddles over Outsourcing,"
- David L. Carr & James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 2001.
"Estimating the Knowledge-Capital Model of the Multinational Enterprise,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 693-708, June.
- David L. Carr & James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 1998. "Estimating the Knowledge-Capital Model of the Multinational Enterprise," NBER Working Papers 6773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrison, Ann E. & McMillan, Margaret S., 2006. "Dispelling Some Myths About Offshoring," MPRA Paper 15615, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines Jr., 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Domestic Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 11717, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijecbr:v:4:y:2012:i:1/2:p:21-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.