Monopolisation of triopoly – revisited
The main objective of this paper is to provide a new insight into the possibility of monopolising a three-firm industry through acquisition of rivals in the absence of restrictions imposed by the antitrust authorities. The dynamic model of monopolisation under Cournot-type rivalry among oligopolists implies that the monopolisation through acquisition is not profitable because of the free riding among the owners of firms. However, in a model of triopoly where the acquirer could become the market leader of the Stackelberg type, we show that a single buyer can monopolise an industry through acquisition of rivals. It means that the monopolisation of triopoly may not be prevented by the market alone. This finding has an important regulatory implication different from the results of the previous models: an active intervention of antitrust authorities in the market with only three firms is necessary to block mergers and acquisitions.
Volume (Year): 1 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID==311|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kamien, Morton I & Zang, Israel, 1993. "Monopolization by Sequential Acquisition," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 205-29, October.
- Harris, Ellie G, 1994. "Why One Firm Is the Target and the Other the Bidder in Single-Bidder, Synergistic Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(2), pages 263-80, April.
- Prokop, Jacek, 2005. "Monopolization through acquisition," MPRA Paper 43683, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
- Hennessy, David A., 2000.
"Cournot Oligopoly Conditions Under Which Any Horizontal Merger is Profitable,"
Staff General Research Papers
1699, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David Hennessy, 2000. "Cournot Oligopoly Conditions under which Any Horizontal Merger Is Profitable," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 277-284, November.
- Mihkel M. Tombak, 2002. "Mergers to Monopoly," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 513-546, 09.
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1990. "The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 465-499.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijcome:v:1:y:2009:i:2:p:113-125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.