What Type of Firm Forges Closer Innovation Linkages with Portuguese Universities?
Using large-scale survey data for firms located in Portugal, we analyze which firm characteristics are conducive to establishing contacts with universities. Although almost half of the firms surveyed stated they had established some contacts with universities in the period 2001-2003, only a few (22%) consider universities an important source of knowledge and information for their innovation activities. Our analysis indicates that the firms’ propensity to draw on each of the Portuguese universities is explained by the characteristics of the different firms and their regional and industrial patterns. An unambiguous and statistically robust finding is that proximity matters highly in firmsuniversities linkages – our estimations reveal that firms are more likely to contacts universities located nearby.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 24 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://notas-economicas.fe.uc.pt/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feller, Irwin, 1990. "Universities as engines of R&D-based economic growth: They think they can," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 335-348, August.
- Berman, Evan M., 1990. "The economic impact of industry-funded university R&D," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 349-355, August.
- Maryann Feldman & Irwin Feller & Janet Bercovitz & Richard Burton, 2002. "Equity and the Technology Transfer Strategies of American Research Universities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 105-121, January.
- Nelson, Richard R, 2001. " Observations on the Post-Bayh-Dole Rise of Patenting at American Universities," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(1-2), pages 13-19, January.
- Cockburn, Iain & Henderson, Rebecca, 1994.
"Racing to Invest? The Dynamics of Competition in Ethical Drug Discovery,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 481-519, Fall.
- Cockburn, Iain. & Henderson, Iain., 1994. "Racing to invest? : the dynamics of competition in ethical drug discovery," Working papers 3710-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Rosenberg, Nathan & Nelson, Richard R., 1994. "American universities and technical advance in industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 323-348, May.
- Thursby, Jerry G. & Kemp, Sukanya, 2002. "Growth and productive efficiency of university intellectual property licensing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 109-124, January.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, Albert N. Link and John T. Scott., 2000.
"Barriers Inhibiting Industry from Partnering with Universities: Evidence from the Advanced Technology Program,"
Economics Working Papers
E00-290, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hall, Bronwyn H & Link, Albert N & Scott, John T, 2001. " Barriers Inhibiting Industry from Partnering with Universities: Evidence from the Advanced Technology Program," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(1-2), pages 87-98, January.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Link, Albert N. & Scott, John T., 2000. "Barriers Inhibiting Industry from Partnering with Universities: Evidence from the Advanced Technology Program," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt709852rk, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Albert N. Link & John T. Scott, 2001. "Barriers Inhibiting Industry from Partnering with Universities: Evidence from the Advanced Technology Program," Development and Comp Systems 0012003, EconWPA.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-70, December.
- Anthony Arundel & Aldo Geuna, 2004.
"Proximity and the use of public science by innovative European firms,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 559-580.
- Geuna, Aldo & Anthony Arundel, 2003. "Proximity and the Use of Public Science by Innovate European Firms," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 86, Royal Economic Society.
- Wesley M. Cohen & Richard R. Nelson & John P. Walsh, 2002. "Links and Impacts: The Influence of Public Research on Industrial R&D," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Michael L. Tushman & Ralph Katz, 1980. "External Communication and Project Performance: An Investigation into the Role of Gatekeepers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(11), pages 1071-1085, November.
- Roberto Fontana & Aldo Geuna & Mireille Matt, 2003. "Firm Size and Openness: the Driving Forces of University-Industry Collaboration," SPRU Working Paper Series 103, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Donald Siegel & David Waldman & Albert Link, 1999. "Assessing the Impact of Organizational Practices on the Productivity of University Technology Transfer Offices: An Exploratory Study," NBER Working Papers 7256, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zucker, Lynne G & Darby, Michael R & Brewer, Marilynn B, 1998. "Intellectual Human Capital and the Birth of U.S. Biotechnology Enterprises," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 290-306, March.
- O'Shea, Rory P. & Allen, Thomas J. & Chevalier, Arnaud & Roche, Frank, 2005. "Entrepreneurial orientation, technology transfer and spinoff performance of U.S. universities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 994-1009, September.
- Adams, James D, 1990. "Fundamental Stocks of Knowledge and Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(4), pages 673-702, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:journl:y:2006:i:24:p:22-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.