Chinaâ€™s Economic Relations with Indonesia: Threats and Opportunities
The paper examines the development of Chinaâ€™s economic ties with Southeast Asia over the last two decades, culminating in the inauguration of the ASEAN-China Free Trade Agreement (ACFTA) in 2010. Particular reference is made to Chinaâ€™s trade ties with Indonesia. Although two-way trade between China and Indonesia has grown rapidly since 2000, Indonesian exports to China are dominated by primary products, while imports from China are dominated by manufactures. While this pattern might reflect short-term comparative advantage in both economies, it is causing some concern in Indonesia. The paper assesses these concerns, and possible political reactions.
Volume (Year): 30 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, D-20354 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 (0)40 42825-593
Fax: +49 (0)40 42825-547
Web page: http://www.currentsoutheastasianaffairs.org
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.giga-hamburg.de/suedostasien-aktuell Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Post-crisis export performance: The Indonesian experience in regional perspective," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 177-211.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Hal Hill, 2010. "Asian trade: long-term patterns and key policy issues," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 24(2), pages 52-82, November.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2009.
"The Rise of China and East Asian Export Performance: Is the Crowding-Out Fear Warranted?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 234-266, 02.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2007. "The Rise of China and East Asian Export Performance: Is the Crowding-out Fear Warranted?," Departmental Working Papers 2007-10, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Haryo Aswicahyono & Hal Hill & Dionisius Narjoko, 2010. "Industrialisation after a Deep Economic Crisis: Indonesia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(6), pages 1084-1108.
- Haryo Aswicahyono & Dionisius Narjoko & Hal Hill, 2008. "Industrialization after a Deep Economic Crisis: Indonesia," Departmental Working Papers 2008-18, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Jose L. Tongzon, 2005. "ASEAN-China Free Trade Area: A Bane or Boon for ASEAN Countries?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 191-210, 02.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2008. "Singapore And Asean In The New Regional Division Of Labor," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 53(03), pages 479-508.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Singapore and ASEAN in the New Regional Division of Labour," Departmental Working Papers 2006-11, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Olivier Frecaut, 2004. "Indonesia's banking crisis: a new perspective on $50 billion of losses," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 37-57. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gig:soaktu:v:30:y:2011:i:2:p:141-160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Bünte)or (Howard Loewen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.