Re-examining the Role of Transport Infrastructure in Trade, Regional Growth and Governance: Comparing the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) and Central Eastern Europe (CEE)
The main objective of this article is to question the hypothesis of the role of transport infrastructures in regional economic growth by comparing Central Eastern Europe (supported by the EU structural and cohesion funds) and the Greater Mekong Subregion (mainly supported by the â€œeconomic corridorsâ€ of the ADB). Three main components of trade efficiency are scrutinized and compared: (1) the historical development of trade agreements, (2) the supra-national (regional) capacity of trade regulation, and (3) the micro level of governance between the different actors involved in trade. The comparison between CEE and the GMS is all the more warranted because of two paradoxes that need to be explained: The first one results from the existing link between transport and growth in the case of the GMS, and the lack of a link in the case of CEE. The second paradox insists on the fact that despite their very different institutional frameworks, both subregions continue to face similar challenges concerning the implementation of trade agreements and the exchange of facilities at the local level â€“ pointing towards the issue of governance.
Volume (Year): 29 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, D-20354 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 (0)40 42825-593
Fax: +49 (0)40 42825-547
Web page: http://www.currentsoutheastasianaffairs.org
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.giga-hamburg.de/suedostasien-aktuell Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas H. Brooks & Jayant Menon, 2008. "Infrastructure and Trade in Asia: An Overview," Chapters, in: Infrastructure and Trade in Asia, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Roland-Holst, David & Verbiest, Jean-Pierre & Zhai, Fan, 2008.
"Growth and Trade Horizons for Asia: Long Term Forecasts for Regional Integration,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Roland-Holst, David & Verbiest, Jean-Pierre & Zhai, Fan, 2005. "Growth and Trade Horizons for Asia: Long-term Forecasts for Regional Integration," Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, vol. 22(2), pages 76-107.
- Jean-Jacques Hallaert, 2006. "A History of Empirical Literature on the Relationship Between Trade and Growth," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 135(3), pages 63-77.
- repec:idb:brikps:42278 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gig:soaktu:v:29:y:2010:i:2:p:73-119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Bünte)or (Howard Loewen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.