Environmental Laws and Sustainability: An Introduction
In this introduction to the special issue of Sustainability on environmental laws and sustainability, we attempt to synthesize key lessons from the issue’s ten substantive articles. These lessons involve the use of law to achieve integrated decision-making, the use of pre-existing laws to foster sustainability, the centrality of sub-national governments in achieving sustainability, the background law of unsustainable development, the growing importance of climate change, the need to use law to protect and restore ecological integrity, the importance of judicial review and nongovernmental organizations, the need to translate sustainability into specific legal principles, the challenge of creating an appropriate national legal structure for sustainability, the importance of sustainability assessment tools and institutions before and after laws are adopted, and the importance of “soft” law.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amanda L. Kennedy, 2010. "Using Community-Based Social Marketing Techniques to Enhance Environmental Regulation," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(4), pages 1138-1160, April.
- Anthony B. Schutz, 2010. "Grassland Governance and Common-Interest Communities," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(7), pages 2320-2348, July.
- Klaus Bosselmann, 2010. "Losing the Forest for the Trees: Environmental Reductionism in the Law," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(8), pages 2424-2448, July.
- Rachel Medina & A. Dan Tarlock, 2010. "Addressing Climate Change at the State and Local Level: Using Land Use Controls to Reduce Automobile Emissions," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(6), pages 1742-1764, June.
- Nicholas A. Ashford & Ralph P. Hall, 2011. "The Importance of Regulation-Induced Innovation for Sustainable Development," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(1), pages 270-292, January.
- Robin Kundis Craig & J.B. Ruhl, 2010. "Governing for Sustainable Coasts: Complexity, Climate Change, and Coastal Ecosystem Protection," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(5), pages 1361-1388, May.
- Maja Goepel, 2010. "Formulating Future Just Policies: Applying the Delhi Sustainable Development Law Principles," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(6), pages 1694-1718, June.
- Kenneth W. Abbott & Gary E. Marchant, 2010. "Institutionalizing Sustainability across the Federal Government," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(7), pages 1924-1942, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jsusta:v:3:y:2011:i:3:p:531-540:d:11794. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.