The Fed's entry into check clearing reconsidered
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- James N. Duprey & Clarence W. Nelson, 1986. "A visible hand: the Fed's involvement in the check payments system," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, pages 18-29.
- Gorton, Gary, 1985. "Clearinghouses and the Origin of Central Banking in the United States," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(02), pages 277-283, June.
- Edward J. Stevens, 1998. "Non-par banking: competition and monopoly in markets for payments services," Working Paper 9817, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Bruce J. Summers & R. Alton Gilbert, 1996. "Clearing and settlement of U.S. dollar payments: back to the future?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 3-27.
- Jeffrey M. Lacker & John A. Weinberg, 1998. "Can the Fed be a payment system innovator?," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 1-25.
- John A. Weinberg, 1997. "The organization of private payment networks," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 25-44.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Haltom, Renee Courtois & Lacker, Jeffrey M., 2015.
"Should the Fed Have a Financial Stability Mandate? Lessons from the Fed's First 100 Years,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue 1Q, pages 49-75.
- Lacker, Jeffrey M. & Haltom, Renee Courtois, 2013. "Should the Fed Have a Financial Stability Mandate? Lessons from the Fed's first 100 Years," Annual Report, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, pages 5-25.
- R. Alton Gilbert, 1999. "Effects of Federal Reserve services on the efficiency of the system for collecting checks in the United States: 1915--30," Working Papers 1999-014, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- John A. Weinberg, 2002. "Imperfect competition and the pricing of interbank payment services," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 51-66.
- Tanai Khiaonarong, 2004. "Payment systems efficiency, policy approaches, and the role of the central bank," Finance 0405004, EconWPA.
- Khiaonarong, Tanai, 2003. "Payment systems efficiency, policy approaches, and the role of the central bank," Research Discussion Papers 1/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Stephen F. Quinn & William Roberds, 2008. "The evolution of the check as a means of payment: a historical survey," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Gilbert, R. Alton, 2000. "The Advent of the Federal Reserve and the Efficiency of the Payments System: The Collection of Checks, 1915-1930," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 121-148, April.
- James J. McAndrews & William Roberds, 2000. "The economics of check float," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, pages 17-27.
- Jaremski, Matthew & Mathy, Gabrial, 2017. "Looking Back On the Age of Checking in America, 1800-1960," MPRA Paper 78083, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chang, Howard H. & Danilevsky, Marina & Evans, David S. & Garcia-Swartz, Daniel D., 2008. "The economics of market coordination for the pre-Fed check-clearing system: A peek into the Bloomington (IL) node," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 445-461, September.
- Lacker, Jeffrey M. & Weinberg, John A., 2003. "Payment economics: studying the mechanics of exchange," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, pages 381-387.
More about this item
KeywordsCheck collection systems ; Federal Reserve System;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedreq:y:1999:i:spr:p:1-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Pascasio). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbrius.html .