The Fed's entry into check clearing reconsidered
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- James N. Duprey & Clarence W. Nelson, 1986. "A visible hand: the Fed's involvement in the check payments system," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 18-29.
- Gorton, Gary, 1985. "Clearinghouses and the Origin of Central Banking in the United States," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(02), pages 277-283, June.
- Edward J. Stevens, 1998. "Non-par banking: competition and monopoly in markets for payments services," Working Paper 9817, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Bruce J. Summers & R. Alton Gilbert, 1996. "Clearing and settlement of U.S. dollar payments: back to the future?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 3-27.
- Jeffrey M. Lacker & John A. Weinberg, 1998. "Can the Fed be a payment system innovator?," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 1-25.
- John A. Weinberg, 1997. "The organization of private payment networks," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 25-44.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Haltom, Renee Courtois & Lacker, Jeffrey M., 2015.
"Should the Fed Have a Financial Stability Mandate? Lessons from the Fed's First 100 Years,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue 1Q, pages 49-75.
- Lacker, Jeffrey M. & Haltom, Renee Courtois, 2013. "Should the Fed Have a Financial Stability Mandate? Lessons from the Fed's first 100 Years," Annual Report, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, pages 5-25.
- Khiaonarong, Tanai, 2003. "Payment systems efficiency, policy approaches, and the role of the central bank," Research Discussion Papers 1/2003, Bank of Finland.
- R. Alton Gilbert, 1999. "Effects of Federal Reserve services on the efficiency of the system for collecting checks in the United States: 1915--30," Working Papers 1999-014, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gilbert, R. Alton, 2000. "The Advent of the Federal Reserve and the Efficiency of the Payments System: The Collection of Checks, 1915-1930," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 121-148, April.
- James J. McAndrews & William Roberds, 2000. "The economics of check float," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q4, pages 17-27.
- Jaremski, Matthew & Mathy, Gabrial, 2017. "Looking Back On the Age of Checking in America, 1800-1960," MPRA Paper 78083, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chang, Howard H. & Danilevsky, Marina & Evans, David S. & Garcia-Swartz, Daniel D., 2008. "The economics of market coordination for the pre-Fed check-clearing system: A peek into the Bloomington (IL) node," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 445-461, September.
- John A. Weinberg, 2002. "Imperfect competition and the pricing of interbank payment services," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 51-66.
- Lacker, Jeffrey M. & Weinberg, John A., 2003. "Payment economics: studying the mechanics of exchange," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 381-387, March.
- Tanai Khiaonarong, 2004. "Payment systems efficiency, policy approaches, and the role of the central bank," Finance 0405004, EconWPA.
- Stephen F. Quinn & William Roberds, 2008. "The evolution of the check as a means of payment: a historical survey," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
More about this item
KeywordsCheck collection systems ; Federal Reserve System;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedreq:y:1999:i:spr:p:1-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Pascasio). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbrius.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.