Everything you always wanted to know about reverse mortgages but were afraid to ask
Most people have probably heard of reverse mortgage loans. But even though these loans have been getting more attention lately, it’s possible that many people still aren’t sure about what reverse mortgages really are. This is not surprising, since reverse mortgages are a relatively new type of mortgage loan. Although reverse mortgages are currently used by only a small fraction of people, their popularity has been growing in recent years. In this article, Makoto Nakajima discusses reverse mortgage loans, particularly the most popular type, which is administered by the government. He discusses who uses reverse mortgage loans and how they are used and compares the pros and cons of these mortgages.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): Q1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 10 Independence Mall, Philadelphia, PA 19106-1574|
Web page: http://www.philadelphiafed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.phil.frb.org/publicaffairs/pubs/index.html Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mariacristina De Nardi & Eric French & John B. Jones, 2010.
"Why Do the Elderly Save? The Role of Medical Expenses,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 118(1), pages 39-75, 02.
- Mariacristina De Nardi & Eric French & John Bailey Jones, 2009. "Why do the Elderly Save? The Role of Medical Expenses," NBER Working Papers 15149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mariacristina De Nardi & Eric French & John Bailey Jones, 2009. "Why do the elderly save? the role of medical expenses," Working Paper Series WP-09-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Sally R. Merrill & Meryl Finkel & Nandinee K. Kutty, 1994. "Potential Beneficiaries from Reverse Mortgage Products for Elderly Homeowners: An Analysis of American Housing Survey Data," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 22(2), pages 257-299.
- Irina Telyukova & Makoto Nakajima, 2010. "Home Equity Withdrawal in Retirement," 2010 Meeting Papers 636, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Makoto Nakajima & Irina A. Telyukova, 2011. "Home equity withdrawal in retirement," Working Papers 11-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Hui Shan, 2011. "Reversing the Trend: The Recent Expansion of the Reverse Mortgage Market," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 39(4), pages 743-768, December.
- Hui Shan, 2009. "Reversing the trend: the recent expansion of the reverse mortgage market," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-42, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David Laibson, 1997. "Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 443-478.
- Laibson, David I., 1997. "Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting," Scholarly Articles 4481499, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- David A. Wise, 2004. "Perspectives on the Economics of Aging," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number wise04-1. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)