Avoiding significant monetary policy mistakes
We deduce properties of optimal monetary policies based on modern theory and standard empirical findings. In light of this analysis, we examine FOMC policy procedures and conclude that they put too much emphasis on short-term economic stabilization and too little emphasis on longer-term price stability. We propose a form of inflation targeting to address this problem.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): Dec ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (612) 204-5000
Web page: http://minneapolisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.minneapolisfed.org/pubs/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 2002.
"Monetary Policy and Real Stabilization,"
119, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Lars E.O Svensson, 2002. "Monetary policy and real stabilization," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 261-312.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2003. "Friedman's monetary framework: some lessons," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Oct, pages 207-214.
- George T. McCandless, Jr. & Warren E. Weber, 1995. "Some monetary facts," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 2-11.
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986.
"Theory ahead of business cycle measurement,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 9-22.
- Prescott, Edward C., 1986. "Theory ahead of business-cycle measurement," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 11-44, January.
- Jane Ihrig & Jaime Marquez, 2003. "An empirical analysis of inflation in OECD countries," International Finance Discussion Papers 765, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Miller, Preston J., 1993. "Optimal income tax in a monetary economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 443-465, May.
- John C. Williams, 2003.
"Simple rules for monetary policy,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 1-12.
- Eric M. Leeper & Jennifer E. Roush, 2003.
"Putting "M" back in monetary policy,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
761, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2004.
"Deflation and depression: is there an empirical link?,"
331, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2004. "Deflation and Depression: Is There an Empirical Link?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 99-103, May.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick Kehoe, 2004. "Deflation and Depression: Is There and Empirical Link?," NBER Working Papers 10268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kiley Michael T., 2003.
"An Analytical Approach to the Welfare Cost of Business Cycles and the Benefit from Activist Monetary Policy,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Michael T. Kiley, 2001. "An analytical approach to the welfare cost of business cycles and the benefit from activist monetary policy," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-41, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Satyajit Chatterjee & Dean Corbae, 2003. "On the welfare gains of eliminating a small likelihood of economic crises: A case for stabilization policies?," Working Papers 03-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1988. "Economic fluctuations without shocks to fundamentals; or, does the stock market dance to its own music?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 8-24.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmqr:y:2004:i:dec:p:2-9:n:v.28no.2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janelle Ruswick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.