Avoiding significant monetary policy mistakes
We deduce properties of optimal monetary policies based on modern theory and standard empirical findings. In light of this analysis, we examine FOMC policy procedures and conclude that they put too much emphasis on short-term economic stabilization and too little emphasis on longer-term price stability. We propose a form of inflation targeting to address this problem.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): Dec ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 90 Hennepin Avenue, P.O. Box 291, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0291|
Phone: (612) 204-5000
Web page: http://minneapolisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.minneapolisfed.org/pubs/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986.
"Theory ahead of business cycle measurement,"
102, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986. "Theory ahead of business cycle measurement," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 9-22.
- Prescott, Edward C., 1986. "Theory ahead of business-cycle measurement," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 11-44, January.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1988. "Economic fluctuations without shocks to fundamentals; or, does the stock market dance to its own music?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 8-24.
- George T. McCandless & Warren E. Weber, 1995. "Some monetary facts," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 2-11.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 2003.
"Monetary Policy and Real Stabilization,"
NBER Working Papers
9486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 2002. "Monetary policy and real stabilization," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 261-312.
- Satyajit Chatterjee & Dean Corbae, 2003. "On the welfare gains of eliminating a small likelihood of economic crises: A case for stabilization policies?," Working Papers 03-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Eric M. Leeper & Jennifer E. Roush, 2003.
"Putting 'M' back in Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
9552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jane E. Ihrig & Jaime R. Marquez, 2003. "An empirical analysis of inflation in OECD countries," International Finance Discussion Papers 765, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2004.
"Deflation and depression: is there an empirical link?,"
331, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2004. "Deflation and Depression: Is There an Empirical Link?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 99-103, May.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick Kehoe, 2004. "Deflation and Depression: Is There and Empirical Link?," NBER Working Papers 10268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2003. "Friedman's monetary framework: some lessons," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Oct, pages 207-214.
- Kiley Michael T., 2003.
"An Analytical Approach to the Welfare Cost of Business Cycles and the Benefit from Activist Monetary Policy,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Michael T. Kiley, 2001. "An analytical approach to the welfare cost of business cycles and the benefit from activist monetary policy," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-41, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John C. Williams, 2003.
"Simple rules for monetary policy,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 1-12.
- repec:pri:cepsud:83svensson is not listed on IDEAS
- Miller, Preston J., 1993. "Optimal income tax in a monetary economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 443-465, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmqr:y:2004:i:dec:p:2-9:n:v.28no.2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jannelle Ruswick)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.