To conclude: keep inflation low and, in principle, eliminate it
The U.S. economy performed well across the board in 1997, with low unemployment, robust economic growth, and the lowest sustained inflation in decades. Nevertheless, the current framework for monetary policymaking does not ensure that inflation is down for the count, says Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis president Thomas C. Melzer in a speech reprinted here. In this speech, Melzer argues that the Federal Reserve ought to secure the best environment for economic growth by adopting multi-year inflation targets to reduce the trend rate of inflation and keep inflation low.
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, Louis K C, 1994. "Consumption, Inflation Risk, and Real Interest Rates: An Empirical Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(1), pages 69-96, January.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn Rudebusch & Daniel Sichel, 1993.
"Further Evidence on Business-Cycle Duration Dependence,"
in: Business Cycles, Indicators and Forecasting, pages 255-284
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch & Daniel E. Sichel, 1991. "Further evidence on business cycle duration dependence," Working Papers 91-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Carl E. Walsh, 1996. "Accountability in practice: recent monetary policy in New Zealand," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue sep9.
- Shmuel Kandel & Aharon R. Ofer & Oded Sarig, .
"Real Interest Rates and Inflation: An Ex-Ante Empirical Analysis,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
2-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Kandel, Shmuel & Ofer, Aharon R & Sarig, Oded, 1996. " Real Interest Rates and Inflation: An Ex-Ante Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 205-25, March.
- Shmuel Kandel & Aharon R. Ofer & Sarig & Oded, . "Real Interest Rates and Inflation: An Ex-Ante Empirical Analysis," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 02-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1996.
"A Scorecard for Indexed Government Debt,"
NBER Working Papers
5587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William G. Dewald, 1986. "Government Deficits in a Generalized Fisherian Credit Market: Theory with an Application to Indexing Interest Taxation (DÃ©ficits publics dans le contexte d'un marchÃ© du crÃ©dit dÃ©crit par un modÃ¨l," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 243-275, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlrv:y:1997:i:nov:p:3-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.