House prices and the proposed expansion of Chicago's O'Hare Airport
Quieter aircraft are causing the 65-db noise contour band around O'Hare Airport to shrink over time, even in the event that air traffic increases by nearly 60 percent after the proposed expansion of the airport. Forecasts imply that home prices will increase by nearly $280 million (in 1997 dollars) between 1997 and the time after the expansion of the airport as the number of homes subject to severe noise falls.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): Q III ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.chicagofed.org/webpages/publications/print_publication_order_form.cfm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcel A. J. Theebe, 2004. "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: The Impact of Traffic Noise on House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2_3), pages 209-234, 03.
- Timothy J. Bartik & V. Kerry Smith, 1996.
"Urban Amenities and Public Policy,"
Book chapters authored by Upjohn Institute researchers,
in: V. Kerry Smith (ed.), Estimating Economic Values for Nature: Methods for Non-Market Valuation, pages 271-318
W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Sandra E. Black, 1999.
"Do Better Schools Matter? Parental Valuation Of Elementary Education,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 577-599, May.
- Sandra E. Black, 1997. "Do better schools matter? Parental valuation of elementary education," Research Paper 9729, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jeffrey E. Zabel & Katherine A. Kiel, 2000. "Estimating the Demand for Air Quality in Four U.S. Cities," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(2), pages 174-194.
- Stephen Sheppard, 1998.
"Hedonic Analysis of Housing Markets,"
- O'Byrne, Patricia Habuda & Nelson, Jon P. & Seneca, Joseph J., 1985. "Housing values, census estimates, disequilibrium, and the environmental cost of airport noise: A case study of Atlanta," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 169-178, June.
- Mitchell Polinsky, A. & Shavell, Steven, 1976. "Amenities and property values in a model of an urban area," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1-2), pages 119-129.
- Molly Espey, 2000. "The Impact of Airport Noise and Proximity on Residential Property Values," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 408-419.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedhep:y:2004:i:qiii:p:28-39:n:v.28no.3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.