Determinants of bank versus nonbank competitiveness in short-term business lending
Since about 1974, banks' share of the market for short-term business lending has been steadily eroded through competition with nonbank creditors. This paper tries to identify some factors that may affect bank competitiveness in this category in the short fun and discusses how these factors may have contributed to banks' loss of market share. Estimation of a simple linear model in first differences indicates that banks' market share responds negatively in the short run to above-average default risk and/or monetary tightness and to a decrease in banks' value of deposit insurance. Banks' market share responds positively to an increase in the level of interbank competition. Extrapolation from the short-run model to long-run effects demonstrates the plausibility that above average risk and/or monetary tightness and increases in the aggregate weighted capital-to-assets ratio, which contributes to decreases in the value of deposit insurance, may have played a small role in banks' loss of market share since the mid-1970s.
Volume (Year): (1993)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 7702, San Francisco, CA 94120-7702|
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Ouliaris, S, 1990.
"Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 165-93, January.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Sam Ouliaris, 1987. "Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 847R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1988.
- Tom Doan, . "POTESTRESIDS: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Ouliaris-Hansen test for Cointegration on 1st stage residuals," Statistical Software Components RTS00248, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "POTEST: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Ouliaris-Hansen test for Cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTS00247, Boston College Department of Economics.
- John P. Judd, 1979. "Competition between the commercial paper market and commercial banks," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Win, pages 39-53.
- Black, Fischer, 1975. "Bank funds management in an efficient market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 323-339, December.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- Robert N. McCauley & Rama Seth, 1992. "Foreign bank credit to U.S. corporations: the implications of offshore loans," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Spr, pages 52-65.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- Herbert L. Baer & Christine A. Pavel, 1988. "Does regulation drive innovation?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Mar, pages 3-15.
- Benjamin M. Friedman & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 1991.
"Why does the paper-bill spread predict real economic activity?,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Benjamin M. Friedman & Kenneth Kuttner, 1993. "Why Does the Paper-Bill Spread Predict Real Economic Activity?," NBER Chapters, in: Business Cycles, Indicators and Forecasting, pages 213-254 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin M. Friedman & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 1991. "Why Does the Paper-Bill Spread Predict Real Economic Activity?," NBER Working Papers 3879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elizabeth S. Laderman & Randall J. Pozdena, 1991. "Interstate banking and competition: evidence from the behavior of stock returns," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr, pages 32-47.
- Evelyn M. Hurley, 1977. "The commercial paper market," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jun, pages 525-536.
- Frederick T. Furlong, 1983. "New deposit instruments," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue May, pages 319-326.
- Pennacchi, George G, 1987. "A Reexamination of the Over- (or Under-) Pricing of Deposit Insurance," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 19(3), pages 340-60, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedfer:y:1993:p:17-32:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.