A note on depreciation allowances, taxation and risk-taking
Incentive effects of depreciation rules for risk-taking are considered. If true economic depreciation is stochastic, profit taxes with expected-value depreciation allowances decrease risk-taking. However, if real capital is used only in the risky sector, more generous depreciation allowances increase risk-taking. It is also shown that the incentive effect of risk-taking-revenue taxes to increase the risky fraction ofinvestment is stronger in the case ofmore generous depreciation allowances.
Volume (Year): 3 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koskela, Erkki & Kanniainen, Vesa, 1984. "Changing the Tax Base and Risk-Taking," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 162-174, March.
- Syed M. Ahsan, 1990. "Risk-Taking, Savings, and Taxation: A Re-examination of Theory and Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(2), pages 408-433, May.
- Boadway, R. W. & Bruce, N., 1979. "Depreciation and interest deductions and the effect of the corporation income tax on investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 93-105, February.
- Agnar Sandmo, 1977. "Portfolio Theory, Asset Demand and Taxation: Comparative Statics with Many Assets," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(2), pages 369-379.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1988. "Beschleunigte steuerliche Abschreibungen: Verpuffende Anreize?," Munich Reprints in Economics 19865, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:3:y:1990:i:2:p:161-165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.