Market Structure and Welfare in the Finnish Market for Long-Distance Telecommunications
This paper attempts to measure the welfare effects associated with the opening of the Finnish market for long-distance voice telephony in 1993. It also focuses on the remaining potential welfare losses associated with imperfect competition in this market. The results suggest that entry benefited consumers substantially in terms of consumer surplus, while the change in operators’ net profits was negative. From 1993 onwards the potential relative welfare loss substantially decreased from about 40 per cent of sales revenues to about 11 per cent. However, the figures for the late 1990s strongly depend upon assumptions regarding market structure and price elasticity. Nevertheless, the results suggest that the potential relative welfare losses are not negligible.
Volume (Year): 15 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Cadima, Nuno, 2000. "The Impact of Mobile Phone Diffusion on the Fixed-Link Network," CEPR Discussion Papers 2598, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willner, Johan & Stahl, Leila, 1992. "Where are the welfare losses of imperfect competition large?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 477-490, October.
- Hausman, Jerry & Tardiff, Timothy & Belinfante, Alexander, 1993. "The Effects of the Breakup of AT&T on Telephone Penetration in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 178-184, May.
- Cowling, Keith & Waterson, Michael, 1976.
"Price-Cost Margins and Market Structure,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(171), pages 267-274, August.
- Cowling, Keith & Waterson, Michael, 1974. "Price-Cost Margins and Market Structure," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 044, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Cowling, Keith & Mueller, Dennis C, 1978. "The Social Costs of Monopoly Power," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 727-748, December.
- Paul MacAVOY, 1998. "Testing for Competitiveness of Markets for Long Distance Telephone Services: Competition Finally?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 13(3), pages 295-319, June.
- Shapiro, Carl, 1989. "Theories of oligopoly behavior," Handbook of Industrial Organization,in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 329-414 Elsevier.
- Wahlroos, Bjorn, 1982. " The Welfare Cost of Imperfect Industrial Competition in an Open Economy with an Application to Finland," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(3), pages 457-470.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:15:y:2002:i:2:p:87-101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.