Efficiency and surplus bounds in Cournot competition
We derive bounds on the ratios of deadweight loss and consumer surplus to producer surplus under Cournot competition. To do so, we introduce a parameterization of the degree of curvature of market demand using the parallel concepts of ?-concavity and ?-convexity. The ?more concave? is demand, the larger the share of producer surplus in overall surplus, the smaller is consumer surplus relative to producer surplus, and the lower the ratio of deadweight loss to producer surplus. Deadweight loss over total potential surplus is at Þrst increasing with demand concavity, then eventually decreasing. The analysis is extended to asymmetric Þrm costs.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.virginia.edu/economics/home.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Caplin, A. & Nalebuff, B., 1989.
"Aggregation And Social Choice: A Mean Voter Theorem,"
1989_31, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Caplin, Andrew & Nalebuff, Barry, 1991. "Aggregation and Social Choice: A Mean Voter Theorem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Andrew Caplin & Barry Nalebuff, 1990. "Aggregation and Social Choice: A Mean Voter Theorem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 938, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Poterba, James M., 1996. "Retail Price Reactions to Changes in State and Local Sales Taxes," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(2), pages 165-76, June.
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Kreider, B., 1999.
"Tax incidece in Differentiated product Oligopoly,"
99-10, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma & B. Kreider, 2000. "Tax Incidence in Differentiated Product Oligopoly," THEMA Working Papers 2000-10, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma & B. Kreider, 1999. "Tax incidence in differentiated product oligopoly," THEMA Working Papers 99-10, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma & Brent Kreider, 2000. "Tax Incidence in Differentiated Product Oligopoly," Virginia Economics Online Papers 341, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Simon & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent, 2001. "Tax Incidence in Differentiated Product Oligopoly," Staff General Research Papers 5202, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Novshek, William., 1984.
"On the Existence of Cournot Equilibrium,"
517, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Spence, Michael, 1976. "Product Selection, Fixed Costs, and Monopolistic Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 217-35, June.
- Caplin, Andrew & Nalebuff, Barry, 1991.
"Aggregation and Imperfect Competition: On the Existence of Equilibrium,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 25-59, January.
- Andrew Caplin & Barry Nalebuff, 1990. "Aggregation and Imperfect Competition: On the Existence of Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 937, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Caplin, A. & Nalebuff, B., 1989. "Aggregation And Imperfect Competition: On The Existence Of Equilibrium," Discussion Papers 1989_30, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Michael D. Whinston, 1986. "Free Entry and Social Inefficiency," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 48-58, Spring.
- Timothy J. Besley & Harvey S. Rosen, 1998.
"Sales Taxes and Prices: An Empirical Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
6667, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cowling, Keith & Mueller, Dennis C, 1978. "The Social Costs of Monopoly Power," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 727-48, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vir:virpap:360. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Debby Stanford)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.