Sourcing Patterns of FDI Activity and Their Impact on the Domestic Economy
In this paper, we describe sourcing patterns of FDI activity and test empirically whether their impact on the host economy is such as predicted by theoretical models. In the analysis, we focus on inter-industry interactions between a multinational enterprise (MNE) which enters the domestic market and other firms in the economy within the broader context of international trade flows. Our main purpose is to determine whether FDI inflow indeed boosts demand for intermediate goods, and whether the MNE uses domestic suppliers of intermediate goods or whether it purchases its supplies from abroad or from other MNEs entering the downstream sector. Our analysis covers the time period 2001–2007 and concerns both Western and Eastern European countries. Using an unbalanced panel of industries in these countries and the given time period, we come to the conclusion that even though FDI represents a positive shock to demand for intermediate goods, in countries of Eastern Europe this shock is better exploited by MNEs in the upstream sector and foreign importing firms than by domestic producers.
Volume (Year): 63 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanousek, Jan & Kocenda, Evzen & Maurel, Mathilde, 2011.
"Direct and indirect effects of FDI in emerging European markets: A survey and meta-analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 301-322, September.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kočenda & Mathilde Maurel, 2010. "Direct and indirect effects of FDI in emerging European markets : a survey and meta-analysis," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00469544, HAL.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kočenda & Mathilde Maurel, 2011. "Direct and Indirect Effects of FDI in Emerging European markets: A Survey and Meta-analysis," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00627659, HAL.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda & Mathilde Maurel, 2010. "Direct and Indirect Effects of FDI in Emerging European Markets: A Survey and Meta-analysis," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp976, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kocenda & Mathilde Maurel, 2010. "Direct and indirect effects of FDI in emerging European markets: a survey and meta-analysis," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10024, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Frensch, Richard & Gaucaite Wittich, Vitalija, 2009. "Product variety and technical change," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 242-257, March.
- Richard Frensch & Vitalija Gaucaite-Wittich, 2006. "Product variety and technical change," Working Papers 265, Leibniz Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and Southeast European Studies).
- Klaus E Meyer & Evis Sinani, 2009. "When and where does foreign direct investment generate positive spillovers? A meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(7), pages 1075-1094, September.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004. "Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004. "Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms," Scholarly Articles 3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Iršová, Zuzana & Havránek, Tomáš, 2013. "Determinants of Horizontal Spillovers from FDI: Evidence from a Large Meta-Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 1-15.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2011. "Determinants of Horizontal Spillovers from FDI: Evidence from a Large Meta-Analysis," Working Papers 2011/07, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Theodore H. Moran & Edward M. Graham & Magnus Blomstrom, 2005. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Development?," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 3810, November.
- Molly Lesher & Sébastien Miroudot, 2008. "FDI Spillovers and their Interrelationships with Trade," OECD Trade Policy Papers 80, OECD Publishing.
- Klaus E Meyer, 2004. "Perspectives on multinational enterprises in emerging economies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 35(4), pages 259-276, July.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002. "Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2923, The World Bank.
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2001. "Multinational Companies and Productivity Spillovers: A Meta-analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages 723-739, November.
- Wilfred J. Ethier, 1986. "The Multinational Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 805-833.
- Havranek, Tomas & Irsova, Zuzana, 2011. "Estimating vertical spillovers from FDI: Why results vary and what the true effect is," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 234-244. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:63:y:2013:i:3:p:288-302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.