Time-Varying Risk Premium in the Czech Capital Market: Did the Market Experience a Structural Shock in 2008–2009?
Time-varying risk premiums and CAPM betas for several assets traded on the Prague Stock Exchange are estimated within a model which is derived as a restriction of a general stochastic discount factor model. The restriction takes the form of the Sharpe-Lintner capital asset pricing model. A time-varying risk premium for the whole market is then estimated within a restriction in the form of the Lucas-Breeden consumption-based capital asset pricing model. A multivariate GARCH-in-mean model is used to estimate the two restrictions. The estimation of the CAPM restriction seems to be favorable to the theoretical model, while the CCAPM seems to be less in accordance with the data. Models with dummies and tests of structural changes are used to show that the market experienced a significant shock in 2008–2009, but on the whole the tests do not give indisputable evidence that the shock had a lasting impact on the market.
Volume (Year): 62 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010.
"The equity premium: a puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1401, David K. Levine.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- Peter N Smith & Michael R Wickens, "undated".
"Asset Pricing with Observable Stochastic Discount Factors,"
02/03, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Smith, Peter & Wickens, Michael, 2002. " Asset Pricing with Observable Stochastic Discount Factors," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 397-446, July.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Gertler, M., 1998.
""Overreaction" of Asset Prices in General Equilibrium,"
98-25, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Mark Gertler, 1999. ""Overreaction" of Asset Prices in General Equilibrium," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 3-35, January.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Mark Gertler, 1998. ""Overreaction" of Asset Prices in General Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 6747, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wickens, Michael R., 2003.
"Microeconomic Sources of Equity Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4070, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yufeng Han, 2011. "On the relation between the market risk premium and market volatility," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(22), pages 1711-1723.
- repec:fth:starer:98-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marcelle Chauvet & Simon M. Potter, 1999.
61, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Fredj Jawadi, 2010.
"On the Impacts of Crisis on the Risk Premium: Evidence from the US Stock Market using a Conditional CAPM,"
- Arouri Mohamed El Hédi & Jawadi Fredj, 2010. "On the Impacts of Crisis on the Risk Premium: Evidence from the US Stock Market using a Conditional CAPM," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1032-1043.
- Boubakri, Salem & Guillaumin, Cyriac, 2011.
"Financial integration and currency risk premium in CEECs: Evidence from the ICAPM,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 460-484.
- Salem Boubakri & Cyriac Guillaumin, 2011. "Financial integration and currency risk premium in CEECs : evidence from the ICAPM," Post-Print halshs-00639224, HAL.
- repec:fth:starer:9825 is not listed on IDEAS
- Weil, Philippe, 1989.
"The equity premium puzzle and the risk-free rate puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 401-421, November.
- Phillippe Weil, 1997. "The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1833, David K. Levine.
- Philippe Weil, 1989. "The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Riskfree Rate Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 2829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bali, Turan G., 2008. "The intertemporal relation between expected returns and risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 101-131, January.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1989. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: A Theoretical Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 937-969, July.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002.
"Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-270, July.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John Cochrane, 2005.
"Financial Markets and the Real Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
11193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1999.
"Explaining the Poor Performance of Consumption-Based Asset Pricing Models,"
NBER Working Papers
7237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 2000. "Explaining the Poor Performance of Consumption-based Asset Pricing Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2863-2878, December.
- Campbell, John & Cochrane, John, 2000. "Explaining the Poor Performance of Consumption-Based Asset Pricing Models," Scholarly Articles 3163265, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Fedorova, Elena & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2008.
"Global and local sources of risk in Eastern European emerging stock markets,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
27/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Elena Fedorova & Mika Vaihekoski, 2009. "Global and Local Sources of Risk in Eastern European Emerging Stock Markets," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(1), pages 2-19, January.
- Evžen Koèenda & Tigran Poghosyan, 2010. "Exchange Rate Risk in Central European Countries," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 60(1), pages 22-39, February.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-455, July.
- Fernandez, Pablo & Aguirreamalloa, Javier & Corres, Luis, 2011. "Market risk premium used in 56 countries in 2011: A survey with 6,014 answers," IESE Research Papers D/920, IESE Business School.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:62:y:2012:i:5:p:450-470. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.