Entry in Independent Submarkets - An Application to the Spanish Retail Banking Market
This paper is aimed at the analysis of the banks’ decisions to open branches in submarkets and, in particular, to test if these decisions can be considered mainly determined by what is happening in each submarket, irrespective of what has happened in other submarkets, as Sutton’s independent submarkets model suggests. With data on the Spanish retail banking sector for the period 1994-98, I specify and estimate a discrete choice model to examine the entry probability of potential new entrants into submarkets. I find that the entry decisions of potential entrants are mainly determined by submarket characteristics, as opposed to entity-specific characteristics. This result is consistent with the assumptions of the theoretical model.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bresnahan, T.F & Reiss, P.C., 1989.
"Entry And Competition In Concentrated Markets,"
151, Stanford - Studies in Industry Economics.
- Lucio Fuentelsaz & Jaime Gomez, 2001. "Strategic and Queue effects on Entry in Spanish Banking," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 529-563, December.
- Lemelin, Andre, 1982. "Relatedness in the Patterns of Interindustry Diversification," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(4), pages 646-57, November.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Peter C. Reiss, 1987. "Do Entry Conditions Vary across Markets?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(3), pages 833-882.
- Berry, Steven T, 1992. "Estimation of a Model of Entry in the Airline Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 889-917, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:33:y:2002:i:1:p:109-118. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Lawless)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.