Foreign Direct Investment and Unemployment: VAR Analysis for Poland in the Years 1995-2009
The paper is devoted to the influence of foreign direct investment on labour markets. The interdependencies between FDI and unemployment were econometrically analyzed in Poland. In the research the VAR methodology was utilized based on aggregate quarterly data. The VAR analysis for the period 1995-2009 have proved interdependencies between FDI and employment in Poland. FDI impulse leads to decreasing of unemployment rate. However, the positive influence of FDI on Polish labour market tend be rather short term. It can suggest that government policies designed for encouraging FDI investment should be reformed in order to make conditions for positive long term influence of foreign capital inflow on Polish labour market.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nigel Driffield & James Love & Karl Taylor, 2008. "Productivity and Labour Demand Effects of Inward and Outward FDI on UK Industry," Working Papers 2008001, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2008.
- Grinols, Earl L, 1991. "Unemployment and Foreign Capital: The Relative Opportunity Costs of Domestic Labour and Welfare," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(229), pages 107-21, February.
- Eleftherios THALASSINOS, 2008. "Trends and Developments in the European Financial Sector," European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(3), pages 44-61.
- David Bailey & Nigel Driffield, 2007. "Industrial Policy, FDI and Employment: Still ‘Missing a Strategy’," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 189-211, December.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Fung, Michael Ka-yiu & Zeng, Jinli & Zhu, Lijing, 1999. "Foreign Capital, Urban Unemployment, and Economic Growth," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 651-64, November.
- Sune Karlsson & Nannan Lundin & Fredrik Sjöholm & Ping He, 2009. "Foreign Firms and Chinese Employment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 178-201, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ers:journl:v:xiv:y:2011:i:1:p:3-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giorgos Zachopoulos)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.