An Analysis of Firms’ Expectations about Activity and Employment
This paper uses individual firm data from the Cyprus Business Surveys for the period May 2009 - April 2011 to assess the extent to which expectations about activity and employment stated in a given month agree with realisations reported by the same firms in subsequent Surveys. The results show that the probability of a firm stating expectations that are consistent with future realisations varies systematically with firm-specific characteristics such as size, district and subsector of operation. The heterogeneity in this probability can be viewed as a description of the shocks experienced ex post by different types of firms
Volume (Year): 5 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P O Box 20537, 1678 Nicosia|
Phone: + 357 22892429
Fax: + 357 22892426
Web page: http://www.ucy.ac.cy/goto/ecorece/el-GR/HOME.aspx
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claveria, Oscar & Pons, Ernest & Ramos, Raul, 2007. "Business and consumer expectations and macroeconomic forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 47-69.
- Bob McNabb & Karl Taylor, 2002.
"Business Cycles and the Role of Confidence: Evidence from Europe,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
02/3, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Karl Taylor & Robert McNabb, 2007. "Business Cycles and the Role of Confidence: Evidence for Europe," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(2), pages 185-208, 04.
- Andrea Carriero & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2011.
"Sectoral Survey‐based Confidence Indicators for Europe,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(2), pages 175-206, 04.
- Andrea Carriero & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2007. "Sectoral Survey-based Confidence Indicators for Europe," Working Papers 320, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Hansson, Jesper & Jansson, Per & Lof, Marten, 2005. "Business survey data: Do they help in forecasting GDP growth?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 377-389.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erc:cypepr:v:5:y:2011:i:1:p:71-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Shekersavva)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.