Ownership structure, corporate governance and corporate liquidity policy: Evidence from the Ghana Stock Exchange
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to examine the impact of ownership structure and corporate governance on corporate liquidity policy from a developing country perspective, Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE). Design/methodology/approach – The authors adopt multiple regression analysis in estimating the relationship between ownership structure, corporate governance and corporate liquidity policy as well as the impact of corporate governance on insider ownership. Findings – The authors find that foreign share ownership significantly predicts corporate cash holding on the GSE. The empirical result also portrays positive and statistically significant relationship between board size, financial leverage, firm size, profitability and corporate liquidity holding, and a negative and statistically significant relationship between board composition and corporate liquidity holding. The authors also document positive and statistically significant relationship between the various industry classifications namely manufacturing, distribution and the pharmaceutical industry and corporate cash holdings on the GSE but did not however find significant relationship between corporate governance and insider ownership on the GSE. The authors found positive relationship between Tobin's Q and inside ownership. Originality/value – The main value of this paper is to analyze the relationship between ownership structure, corporate governance and corporate liquid policy from a developing country perspective.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/jfep.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee Pinkowitz & René Stulz & Rohan Williamson, 2006. "Does the Contribution of Corporate Cash Holdings and Dividends to Firm Value Depend on Governance? A Cross-country Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2725-2751, December.
- Godfred A. Bokpin & Zangina Isshaq, 2009. "Corporate governance, disclosure and foreign share ownership on the Ghana Stock Exchange," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(7), pages 688-703, August.
- Dittmar, Amy & Mahrt-Smith, Jan & Servaes, Henri, 2003. "International Corporate Governance and Corporate Cash Holdings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 111-133, March.
- Demsetz, Harold & Villalonga, Belen, 2001. "Ownership structure and corporate performance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 209-233, September.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
NBER Working Papers
5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Galai, Dan & Masulis, Ronald W., 1976. "The option pricing model and the risk factor of stock," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 53-81.
- Schauten, M.B.J. & van Dijk, D.J.C. & van der Waal, J-P., 2008. "Corporate Governance and the Value of Excess Cash Holdings of Large European Firms," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2008-027-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Saddour, Khaoula & Ginglinger, Edith, 2007.
"Cash holdings, corporate governance and financial constraints,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/2938, Paris Dauphine University.
- Edith Ginglinger & Khaoula Saddour, 2007. "Cash holdings, corporate governance and financial constraints," Working Papers halshs-00162404, HAL.
- Vitaliy Zheka, 2005. "Corporate governance, ownership structure and corporate efficiency: the case of Ukraine," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(7), pages 451-460.
- A. Bruinshoofd & C.J.M. Kool, 2004.
"Dutch Corporate Liquidity Management: New Evidence on Aggregation,"
04-05, Utrecht School of Economics.
- W. Allard Bruinshoofd & Clemens J. M. Kool, 2004. "Dutch corporate liquidity mangement: New evidence on aggregation," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 195-230, November.
- W.A. Bruinshoofd & C.J.M. Kool, 2004. "Dutch corporate liquidity management: new evidence on aggregation," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 756, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Ivalina Kalcheva & Karl V. Lins, 2007. "International Evidence on Cash Holdings and Expected Managerial Agency Problems," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(4), pages 1087-1112.
- Gibson, Michael S., 2003. "Is Corporate Governance Ineffective in Emerging Markets?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 231-250, March.
- Denis, David J. & Sarin, Atulya, 1999. "Ownership and board structures in publicly traded corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 187-223, May.
- Jayati Sarkar & Subrata Sarkar, 2000. "Large Shareholder Activism in Corporate Governance in Developing Countries: Evidence from India," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 1(3), pages 161-194.
- Opler, Tim & Pinkowitz, Lee & Stulz, Rene & Williamson, Rohan, 1999.
"The determinants and implications of corporate cash holdings,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 3-46, April.
- Tim Opler & Lee Pinkowitz & Rene Stulz & Rohan Williamson, 1997. "The Determinants and Implications of Corporate Cash Holdings," NBER Working Papers 6234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tarun Khanna & Krishna Palepu, 1999. "Emerging Market Business Groups, Foreign Investors, and Corporate Governance," NBER Working Papers 6955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davila, Antonio & Peñalva, Fernando, 2004. "Corporate governance and the weighting of performance measures in CEO compensation," IESE Research Papers D/556, IESE Business School.
- Dittmar, Amy & Mahrt-Smith, Jan, 2007. "Corporate governance and the value of cash holdings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 599-634, March.
- Chung, Kee H. & Kim, Jeong-Kuk, 1999. "Corporate ownership and the value of a vote in an emerging market," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 35-54, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:jfeppp:v:3:y:2011:i:3:p:262-279. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.