Corporate governance, disclosure and foreign share ownership on the Ghana Stock Exchange
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to examine the interaction between corporate disclosure and foreign share ownership on the Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE). Design/methodology/approach – The paper follows the trinary procedure of Aksu and Kosedag and uses the Standard & Poor's transparency and disclosure items in the construction of the disclosure index. Therefore, the paper adopts a panel data analysis covering a period from 2002 to 2007 using the seemingly unrelated regression approach. Findings – The results indicate a statistically significant interaction between corporate disclosures and foreign share ownership among the sample firms. The market value of equity and market-to-book value ratio is documented; free cash flow and financial leverage have statistically significant relationships with foreign share ownership. Originality/value – This is the first of its kind in the country that considers the impact of corporate governance and disclosure on foreign share ownership despite the numerous studies carried out on the GSE.
Volume (Year): 24 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=maj Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1987.
"A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information,"
1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987. " A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Stulz, Rene M., 1997.
"Why is there a home bias? An analysis of foreign portfolio equity ownership in Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 3-28, October.
- Jun-Koo Kang & Rene M. Stulz, 1995. "Why Is There a Home Bias? An Analysis of Foreign Portfolio Equity Ownership in Japan," NBER Working Papers 5166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fan, Joseph P. H. & Wong, T. J., 2002. "Corporate ownership structure and the informativeness of accounting earnings in East Asia," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 401-425, August.
- Mine Aksu & Arman Kosedag, 2006. "Transparency and Disclosure Scores and their Determinants in the Istanbul Stock Exchange," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 277-296, 07.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- Kalok Chan & Vicentiu Covrig & Lilian Ng, 2005. "What Determines the Domestic Bias and Foreign Bias? Evidence from Mutual Fund Equity Allocations Worldwide," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1495-1534, 06.
- Ivalina Kalcheva & Karl V. Lins, 2007. "International Evidence on Cash Holdings and Expected Managerial Agency Problems," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(4), pages 1087-1112.
- Cooke, Terence E. & Wallace, R. S. Olusegun, 1990. "Financial disclosure regulation and its environment: A review and further analysis," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 79-110.
- Salter, Stephen B., 1998. "Corporate financial disclosure in emerging markets: Does economic development matter?," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 211-234.
- Danqing Young & David A. Guenther, 2003. "Financial Reporting Environments and International Capital Mobility," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 553-579, 06.
- R.M. Haniffa & T. E. Cooke, 2002. "Culture, Corporate Governance and Disclosure in Malaysian Corporations," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 38(3), pages 317-349.
- Choe, Hyuk & Kho, Bong-Chan & Stulz, Rene M., 2004.
"Do Domestic Investors Have an Edge? The Trading Experience of Foreign Investors in Korea,"
Working Paper Series
2004-6, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Hyuk Choe & Bong-Chan Kho & René M. Stulz, 2005. "Do Domestic Investors Have an Edge? The Trading Experience of Foreign Investors in Korea," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(3), pages 795-829.
- Hyuk Choe & Bong-Chan Kho & Rene M. Stulz, 2004. "Do Domestic Investors Have an Edge? The Trading Experience of Foreign Investors in Korea," NBER Working Papers 10502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:majpps:v:24:y:2009:i:7:p:688-703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.