The sources of aggregate profitability: Marx's theory of surplus value revisited
This paper provides an empirical analysis of Marx's theory of exploitation built on the standard interpretation of the value of labour power. The relationship between the aggregate value rate of profit and the aggregate price rate of profit is studied and it is shown that the two rates coincide up to negligible deviations by using flow as well as stock matrix data for the German economy (1991â€“2000). This suggests that the main determinants of the value rate â€“ namely absolute and relative surplus value, as well as technical progress affecting the value of the aggregate capital stock â€“ may help to understand the dynamics of the aggregate market rate of profit.
Volume (Year): 10 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elgaronline.com/ejeep|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Veneziani & Naoki Yoshihara, 2011.
"Strong Subjectivism In The Marxian Theory Of Exploitation: A Critique,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 53-68, 02.
- Veneziani, Roberto & Yoshihara, Naoki, 2009. "Strong Subjectivism in the Marxian Theory of Exploitation: A Critique," Discussion Paper Series a523, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Veneziani, Roberto & Yoshihara, Naoki, 2009. "Strong Subjectivism in the Marxian Theory of Exploitation: A Critique," CCES Discussion Paper Series 21, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Roberto Veneziani & Naoki Yoshihara, 2009. "Strong Subjectivism in the Marxian Theory of Exploitation: A Critique," Working Papers 654, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Yoshihara, Naoki, 2010. "Class and exploitation in general convex cone economies," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 281-296, August.
- Yoshihara, Naoki, 2007. "Class and Exploitation in General Convex Cone Economies," Discussion Paper Series a489, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Flaschel, Peter, 1983. "Actual Labor Values in a General Model of Production," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 435-454, March.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2002. "Values, prices of production and market prices: some more evidence from the Greek economy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 359-369, May.
- Cockshott, W Paul & Cottrell, Allin F, 1997. "Labour Time versus Alternative Value Bases: A Research Note," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(4), pages 545-549, July.
- Gupta, S & Steedman, Ian, 1971. "An Input-Output Study of Labour Productivity in the British Economy," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 33(1), pages 21-34, February.
- Marquetti, Adalmir A., 2003. "Analyzing historical and regional patterns of technical change from a classical-Marxian perspective," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 191-200, October.
- Simon Mohun, 2004. "The Labour Theory of Value as Foundation for Empirical Investigations," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 65-95, 02. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:elg:ejeepi:v:10:y:2013:i:3:p299-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Craven)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.