Exploitation as the Unequal Exchange of Labour: An Axiomatic Approach
In subsistence economies with general convex technology and rational optimising agents, a new, axiomatic approach is developed, which allows an explicit analysis of the core positive and normative intuitions behind the concept of exploitation. Three main new axioms, called Labour Exploitation in Subsistence Economies , Relational Exploitation , and Feasibility of Non-Exploitation , are presented and it is proved that they uniquely characterise a definition of exploitation conceptually related to the so-called "New-Interpretation" (Duménil, 1980; Foley, 1982; Duménil at el., 2009), which focuses on the unequal distribution of (and control over) social labour, and on individual well-being freedom and the self-realisation of men. Then, the main results of Roemer's (1982, 1988) classical approach and all the crucial insights of exploitation theory are generalised, proving that every agent's class and exploitation status emerges in the competitive equilibrium, that there is a correspondence between an agent's class and exploitation status, and that the existence of exploitation is inherently linked to the existence of positive profits.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: London E1 4NS|
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5096
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8983 3580
Web page: http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Veneziani, Roberto, 2008.
"Exploitation, inequality, and power,"
30288, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Veneziani, Roberto & Yoshihara, Naoki, 2009.
"Strong Subjectivism in the Marxian Theory of Exploitation: A Critique,"
CCES Discussion Paper Series
21, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Roberto Veneziani & Naoki Yoshihara, 2011. "Strong Subjectivism In The Marxian Theory Of Exploitation: A Critique," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 53-68, 02.
- Veneziani, Roberto & Yoshihara, Naoki, 2009. "Strong Subjectivism in the Marxian Theory of Exploitation: A Critique," Discussion Paper Series a523, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Roberto Veneziani & Naoki Yoshihara, 2009. "Strong Subjectivism in the Marxian Theory of Exploitation: A Critique," Working Papers 654, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Naoki Yoshihara, 1998.
"Wealth, Exploitation and Labor Discipline in the Contemporary Capitalist Economy,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 23-61, 02.
- Yoshihara, N., 1996. "Wealth, Exploitation and Labor Discipline in the Contemporary Capitalist Economy," ISER Discussion Paper 0405, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Simon Mohun, 2004. "The Labour Theory of Value as Foundation for Empirical Investigations," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 65-95, 02.
- Yoshihara, Naoki, 2010.
"Class and exploitation in general convex cone economies,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 281-296, August.
- Yoshihara, Naoki, 2007. "Class and Exploitation in General Convex Cone Economies," Discussion Paper Series a489, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Reiko Gotoh & Naoki Yoshihara, 2003.
"A class of fair distribution rules à la Rawls and Sen,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 22(1), pages 63-88, 08.
- Reiko Gotoh & Naoki Yoshihara, 2000. "A Class of Fair Distribution Rules a la Rawls and Sen," Discussion Paper Series a389, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Gérard Duménil & Duncan Foley & Dominique Lévy, 2009. "A Note On The Formal Treatment Of Exploitation In A Model With Heterogenous Labor," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 560-567, 07.
- Veneziani, Roberto, 2007. "Exploitation and time," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 189-207, January.
- Skillman, Gilbert L., 1995. "Ne Hic Saltaveris: The Marxian Theory of Exploitation After Roemer," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 309-331, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qmw:qmwecw:wp655. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.