Can Africa Industrialize by Processing Primary Commodities? The Case of Mozambican Cashew Nuts
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Owens, Trudy & Wood, Adrian, 1997. "Export-oriented industrialization through primary processing?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1453-1470, September.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1999.
"More instruments and broader goals: moving toward the post-washington consensus,"
Brazilian Journal of Political Economy,
Brazilian Journal of Political Economy (Brazil), vol. 19(1), January-M.
- J. Stiglitz, 1998. "More Instruments and Broader Goals: Moving toward the PostWashington Consensus," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
- Erzan, Refik & Svedberg, Peter, 1989. "Protection facing exports from sub-Saharan Africa in the EC, Japan, and the United States," Policy Research Working Paper Series 320, The World Bank.
- Jayne, T. S. & Jones, Stephen, 1997. "Food marketing and pricing policy in Eastern and Southern Africa: A survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1505-1527, September.
- Svedberg, Peter, 1991. "The Export Performance of Sub-Saharan Africa," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(3), pages 549-566, April.
- Love, James, 1983. "Concentration, diversification and earnings instability: Some evidence on developing countries' exports of manufactures and primary products," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(9), pages 787-793, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:wdevel:v:117:y:2019:i:c:p:48-60 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dany Bahar & Samuel Rosenow & Ernesto Stein & Rodrigo Wagner, 2018.
"Export Take-Offs and Acceleration: Unpacking Cross-Sector Linkages in the Evolution of Comparative Advantage,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
7436, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bahar, Dany & Rosenow, Samuel & Stein, Ernesto & Wagner, Rodrigo Andres, 2018. "Export Take-Offs and Acceleration: Unpacking Cross-Sector Linkages in the Evolution of Comparative Advantage," IZA Discussion Papers 12061, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Donovan, Jason & Franzel, Steve & Cunha, Marcelo & Gyau, Amos & Mithöfer, Dagmar, 2016. "Guides for Value-Chain development: A comparative review," IFPRI book chapters,in: Innovation for inclusive value-chain development: Successes and challenges, chapter 1, pages 47-74 International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- KAFANDO, Namalguebzanga, 2014.
"L'industrialisation de l'Afrique: l'importance des facteurs structurels et du régime de change
[The industrialization of Africa: the importance of structural factors and exchange rate regime]," MPRA Paper 68736, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evan Borkum & Anitha Sivasankaran & Jane Fortson & Kristen Velyvis & Christopher Ksoll & Elena Moroz & Matt Sloan, "undated". "Evaluation of the Fruit Tree Productivity Project in Morocco: Design Report," Mathematica Policy Research Reports a34b68aa86c4467ba08f09fa0, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Rammohan, K. T. & Sundaresan, R., 2003. "Socially Embedding the Commodity Chain: An Exercise in Relation to Coir Yarn Spinning in Southern India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 903-923, May.
- Ogundipe, Adeyemi & Amaghionyeodiwe, Lloyd, 2013. "Transnational Trade In Ecowas: Does Export Content Matter?," MPRA Paper 51617, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pritish Behuria, 2019. "African development and the marginalisation of domestic capitalists," Global Development Institute Working Paper Series esid-115-19, GDI, The University of Manchester.
- Torres Fuchslocher, Carlos, 2007. "The Role and Development of Technology-Intensive Suppliers in Resource-Based Economies: A Literature Review," GIGA Working Papers 60, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Naude, Wim & Rossouw, Riaan, 2008. "Export Diversification and Specialization in South Africa: Extent and Impact," WIDER Working Paper Series 093, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- repec:dbn:vo2is1:5003 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ilo:ilowps:465873 is not listed on IDEAS
- Behuria, Pritish, 2017. "The political economy of import substitution in the 21st century: the challenge of recapturing the domestic market in Rwanda," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 69470, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Wim Naudé & Maarten Bosker & Marianne Matthee, 2010. "Export Specialisation and Local Economic Growth," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(4), pages 552-572, April.
- Gibbon, Peter, 2001. "Upgrading Primary Production: A Global Commodity Chain Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 345-363, February.
- Wim Naudé & Riaan Rossouw, 2011. "Export diversification and economic performance: evidence from Brazil, China, India and South Africa," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 99-134, April.
- Ponte, Stefano, 2002. "The 'Latte Revolution'? Regulation, Markets and Consumption in the Global Coffee Chain," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1099-1122, July.
- Pritish Behuria, 2018. "The politics of upgrading in global value chains: The case of Rwanda’s coffee sector," Global Development Institute Working Paper Series esid-108-18, GDI, The University of Manchester.
- Aye Mengistu, Alemu, 2009. "Determinants of Vertical and Horizontal Export Diversification: Evidences from Sub-Saharan Africa and East Asia," Ethiopian Journal of Economics, Ethiopian Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 107-107, August.
- Phumzile Ncube & Simon Roberts & Tatenda Zengeni, 2016. "Development of the animal feed to poultry value chain across Botswana, South Africa, and Zimbabwe," WIDER Working Paper Series 002, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Phumzile Ncube & Simon Roberts & Tatenda Zengeni, 2017. "The Southern African poultry value chain: Regional development versus national imperatives," WIDER Working Paper Series 097, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Murphy, James T., 2007. "The Challenge of Upgrading in African Industries: Socio-Spatial Factors and the Urban Environment in Mwanza, Tanzania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1754-1778, October.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:27:y:1999:i:7:p:1247-1266. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.