A macro-environment approach to civil aviation strategic planning
Air transport is considered a cyclical industry sensitive to the macro-environment in which it operates. As aviation policy makers and regulators strategically plan for their future, they need to consider the systematic and synergistic effects of common factors which comprise the operating environment of the industry׳s organisations. Thus, during the process of aviation systems planning governments should perceive the generic conditions which exist in the economy as a whole as equally important to air transport exclusive conditions. This paper highlights the significant impact of the national macro-environment factors on a country׳s air transport sector and it suggests including these elements within the context of civil aviation strategic planning. Country level data is collected on seventeen input variables versus four output variables on a sample of 52 countries. Structural Equation Modelling (SEM) is used to identify the descriptors with significant impact on air transport output, namely: passenger traffic, aviation total contribution to GDP, aviation total contribution to employment and air connectivity levels. The identified significant drivers are found to create an enabling environment that determines the capacity of an economy and society to benefit from the air transport system׳s productivity. The results call upon aviation policy makers and regulators to assess the national macro-environment forces during the situation analysis part of the strategic planning process. The identified operating environment conditions act as a framework for providing clear policy orientations and for facilitating the identification of areas where policy intervention could improve air transport sector׳s performance. A well-defined aviation strategy allows aviation policy makers to identify and address nation wide strategic issues and provides aviation industry׳s stake holders with guidelines to help maintain and enhance their competitive position in both domestic and global markets.
Volume (Year): 33 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schafer, Andreas & Victor, David G., 2000. "The future mobility of the world population," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 171-205, April.
- Oral, Muhittin & Chabchoub, Habib, 1996. "On the methodology of the World Competitiveness Report," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 514-535, May.
- Lyford, Conrad P. & Ricks, Donald J. & Peterson, H. Christopher & Sterns, James A., 2002. "A Framework For Effective Industry Strategic Planning," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 20(2).
- HÃ¤tty, Holger & Hollmeier, Sebastian, 2003. "Airline strategy in the 2001/2002 crisisâ€”the Lufthansa example," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 51-55.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 2001. "Competitiveness Indices and Developing Countries: An Economic Evaluation of the Global Competitiveness Report," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1501-1525, September.
- Franke, Markus & John, Florian, 2011. "What comes next after recession? â€“ Airline industry scenarios and potential end games," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 19-26.
- Frédéric Dobruszkes & Gilles Van Hamme, 2011. "The impact of the current economic crisis on the geography of air traffic volumes: an empirical analysis," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/96228, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ricks, Donald J. & Woods, Timothy A., 1996. "Strategic Planning For Improved Competitiveness By Regional Commodity Industries," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 27(1), February.
- Button, Kenneth, 2009. "The impact of USâ€“EU â€œOpen Skiesâ€ agreement on airline market structures and airline networks," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 59-71.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:15:y:2009:i:4:p:378-392 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alderighi, Marco & Cento, Alessandro, 2004. "European airlines conduct after September 11," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 97-107.
- McFetridge, D., 1995. "Competitiveness Concepts and Measures," Gouvernement du Canada - Industrial Organization 5, Gouvernement du Canada - Industry Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:33:y:2014:i:c:p:125-135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.