Effectiveness of an empty container repositioning policy with flexible destination ports
This paper considers an empty container repositioning policy with flexible destination ports. The policy only specifies the direction of the empty flows, whereas ports of destinations are not determined in advance and empty containers are unloaded from vessels as needed. Interviews with industries show its application in practice, but little research has been reported on its effectiveness. The purpose of the paper is to formulate this policy mathematically and evaluate its effectiveness via simulation. Numerical experiments demonstrate that the new policy outperforms the conventional policy significantly in situations where trade demands are imbalanced and container fleet sizes are within a reasonable range.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dongping Song * & Jie Zhang & Jonathan Carter & Tony Field & James Marshall & John Polak & Kimberly Schumacher & Proshun Sinha-Ray & John Woods, 2005. "On cost-efficiency of the global container shipping network," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 15-30, January.
- Li, Jing-An & Leung, Stephen C.H. & Wu, Yue & Liu, Ke, 2007. "Allocation of empty containers between multi-ports," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 400-412, October.
- Alessandro Olivo & Paola Zuddas & Massimo Di Francesco & Antonio Manca, 2005. "An Operational Model for Empty Container Management," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(3), pages 199-222, September.
- Kochel, Peter & Kunze, Sophie & Nielander, Ulf, 2003. "Optimal control of a distributed service system with moving resources: Application to the fleet sizing and allocation problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 443-459, January.
- Erera, Alan L. & Morales, Juan C. & Savelsbergh, Martin, 2005. "Global intermodal tank container management for the chemical industry," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 551-566, November.
- Choong, Sook Tying & Cole, Michael H. & Kutanoglu, Erhan, 2002. "Empty container management for intermodal transportation networks," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 423-438, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:18:y:2011:i:1:p:92-101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.