A model for time- and budget-constrained activity demand analysis
This paper describes and demonstrates the derivation of a system of demands for activity participation by applying microeconomic theory in a time-price setting. Both time and money constraints are incorporated explicitly and the integer nature of demand observations is accommodated via a multivariate negative binomial stochastic specification. A model based on this theory is calibrated, providing estimates of income, discretionary-time, and cross-time elasticities. The results reject a constant travel time hypothesis but do not reject a hypothesis of no income effects on total activity participation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kockelman, Kara M., 1998. "A Utility-Theory-Consistent System-of-Demand-Equations Approach to Household Travel Choice," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt3h67j2p2, University of California Transportation Center.
- Deaton, Angus, 1987. "Estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 7-30.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R, 1980. "Global Properties of Flexible Functional Forms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 422-432, June.
- D Damm & S R Lerman, 1981. "A Theory of Activity Scheduling Behavior," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 13(6), pages 703-718, June.
- Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1980. "Comparison of the Quadratic Expenditure System and Translog Demand Systems with Alternative Specifications of Demographic Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 595-612, April.
- Golob, Thomas F. & McNally, Michael G., 1997. "A model of activity participation and travel interactions between household heads," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 177-194, June.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1975. "Transcendental Logarithmic Utility Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 367-383, June.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 1998. "Accommodating flexible substitution patterns in multi-dimensional choice modeling: formulation and application to travel mode and departure time choice," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 455-466, September.
- Kockelman, Kara Maria, 1998. "A Utility-Theory-Consistem System-of-Demand-Equations Approach to Household Travel Choice," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt06x0k5r4, University of California Transportation Center.
- D Damm & S R Lerman, 1981. "A theory of activity scheduling behavior," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 13(6), pages 703-718, June.
- Kitamura, Ryuichi, 1984. "A model of daily time allocation to discretionary out-of-home activities and trips," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 255-266, June.
- Recker, W. W., 1995. "The household activity pattern problem: General formulation and solution," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 61-77, February.
- Golob, Thomas F. & Beckmann, Martin J. & Zahavi, Yacov, 1981. "A utility-theory travel demand model incorporating travel budgets," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 375-389, December.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1986. "Functional forms in econometric model building," Handbook of Econometrics,in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1515-1566 Elsevier.
- Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1978. "Estimation of Complete Demand Systems from Household Budget Data: The Linear and Quadratic Expenditure Systems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 348-359, June.