A practical model for transfer optimization in a transit network: Model formulations and solutions
This paper studies the transit network scheduling problem and aims to minimize the waiting time at transfer stations. First, the problem is formulated as a mixed integer programming model that gives the departure times of vehicles in lines so that passengers can transfer between lines at transfer stations with minimum waiting times. Then, the model is expanded to a second model by considering the extra stopping time of vehicles at transfer stations as a new variable set. By calculating the optimal values for these variables, transfers can be better performed. The sizes of the models, compared with the existing models, are small enough that the models can be solved for small- and medium-sized networks using regular MIP solvers, such as CPLEX. Moreover, a genetic algorithm approach is represented to more easily solve larger networks. A simple network is used to describe the models, and a medium-sized, real-life network is used to compare the proposed models with another existing model in the literature. The results demonstrate significant improvement. Finally, a large-scale, real-life network is used as a case study to evaluate the proposed models and the genetic algorithm approach.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhao, Fang & Zeng, Xiaogang, 2008. "Optimization of transit route network, vehicle headways and timetables for large-scale transit networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 841-855, April.
- Yan, Shangyao & Chi, Chin-Jen & Tang, Ching-Hui, 2006. "Inter-city bus routing and timetable setting under stochastic demands," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 572-586, August.
- Haghani, Ali & Shafahi, Yousef, 2002. "Bus maintenance systems and maintenance scheduling: model formulations and solutions," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 453-482, June.
- Yan, Shangyao & Chen, Hao-Lei, 2002. "A scheduling model and a solution algorithm for inter-city bus carriers," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 805-825, November.
- Castelli, Lorenzo & Pesenti, Raffaele & Ukovich, Walter, 2004. "Scheduling multimodal transportation systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 155(3), pages 603-615, June.
- Haghani, Ali & Banihashemi, Mohamadreza & Chiang, Kun-Hung, 2003. "A comparative analysis of bus transit vehicle scheduling models," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 301-322, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:44:y:2010:i:6:p:377-389. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.