The design of interurban bus networks in city centers
This paper proposes a bilevel formulation for solving the Bus Network Design Problem (BNDP) of interurban services entering a major city. It is focused in interurban services because it is a growing problem in most of major cities, yet new in the literature. The layout of interurban bus routes and the locations of transfer stations in the main city are the key factors to provide a competitive public transportation service to commuters in a metropolitan area. The number of commuters in huge urban concentrations is growing due to the difficulties of living near the city center. The objective function of the first level is defined with the aim of reducing user and agency costs. In the second level the performance of users is addressed. Furthermore, a local search method based on the Tabu Search algorithm was carried out to guide the exploration in the solution domain. The results obtained in a set of test problems have demonstrated that the restart parameters of the algorithm play a significant role in the efficiency of the algorithm. Finally, implementation in the large network of Barcelona (Spain) reduces the total cost by 5% with regard to the present situation.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cordeau, Jean-François & Laporte, Gilbert, 2003. "A tabu search heuristic for the static multi-vehicle dial-a-ride problem," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 579-594, July.
- Guihaire, Valérie & Hao, Jin-Kao, 2008. "Transit network design and scheduling: A global review," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(10), pages 1251-1273, December.
- Ceder, Avishai & Wilson, Nigel H. M., 1986. "Bus network design," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 331-344, August.
- Haghani, Ali & Banihashemi, Mohamadreza, 2002. "Heuristic approaches for solving large-scale bus transit vehicle scheduling problem with route time constraints," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 309-333, May.
- Brandao, Jose, 2006. "A new tabu search algorithm for the vehicle routing problem with backhauls," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(2), pages 540-555, September.
- Yan, Shangyao & Chen, Hao-Lei, 2002. "A scheduling model and a solution algorithm for inter-city bus carriers," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 805-825, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:46:y:2012:i:8:p:1153-1165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.