A new era for airport regulators through capacity investments
Private and public airports' optimal actions may not coincide. While private airports usually pursue profit maximization, publicly owned airports look for maximum social welfare. Thus, the prices charged by private airports may differ from the socially optimal charges and public intervention may be needed. In this paper, we analyze airport charges when an increase in frequency produces positive or negative externalities and carriers have market power. We use the methodology of game theory to show that there may exist a level of capacity for which private and social objectives coincide, so no price regulation is needed. Thus, the usual role of regulators and planners could be modified in order to decide the appropriate capacity investments for which airport regulation is no longer necessary.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 43 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panzar, John C, 1979. "Equilibrium and Welfare in Unregulated Airline Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 92-95, May.
- Forsyth, Peter, 2003. "Regulation under stress: developments in Australian airport policy," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 25-35.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2005.
"Internalization of airport congestion: A network analysis,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 599-614, September.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Internalization of Airport Congestion: A Network Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 756, CESifo Group Munich.
- Youdi Schipper & Piet Rietveld & Peter Nijkamp, 1998. "Deregulation and Schedule Competition in Simple Airline Networks," ERSA conference papers ersa98p205, European Regional Science Association.
- Viauroux, Christelle, 2007. "Structural estimation of congestion costs," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Castells, Antoni & Sole-Olle, Albert, 2005. "The regional allocation of infrastructure investment: The role of equity, efficiency and political factors," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 1165-1205, July.
- Brueckner, Jan K, 2002. "Internalization of airport congestion," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 141-147.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2006. "Airport capacity and congestion when carriers have market power," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 229-247, September.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2002.
"Network Structure and Airline Scheduling,"
02-0112, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716.
- Forsyth, Peter, 2002. "Privatisation and regulation of Australian and New Zealand airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 19-28.
- Carlin, Alan & Park, Rolla Edward, 1970. "Marginal Cost Pricing of Airport Runway Capacity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 310-319, June.
- Mohring, Herbert, 1972. "Optimization and Scale Economies in Urban Bus Transportation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 591-604, September.
- David Starkie, 2001. "Reforming UK Airport Regulation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 119-135, January.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Airport Congestion When Carriers Have Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1357-1375, December.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2003. "Airport charges and capacity expansion: effects of concessions and privatization," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 54-75, January.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 2004. "Alternative Forms of Economic Regulation and their Efficiency Implications for Airports," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(2), pages 217-246, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:43:y:2009:i:6:p:618-625. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.