Modeling the competition among air-travel itinerary shares: GEV model development
This study reports the results of aggregate air-travel itinerary share models estimated using data from all East West markets in the United States and Canada. These models predict airline ridership at the itinerary level and aid carriers in long and intermediate term decision-making. Official and comprehensive schedule and bookings data is used to estimate generalized extreme value models capturing the inter-itinerary competition dynamic along three dimensions: time of day, carrier and level-of-service (nonstop, direct, single-connect, double-connect). Models incorporate one, two or three of these dimensions simultaneously. Model structures considered include multinomial logit and variations of the nested logit model (two-level nested logit, two-level weighted nested logit, three-level nested logit, three-level weighted nested logit and nested weighted nested logit). Independent variables for the models measure various itinerary service characteristics such as level-of-service, connection quality, carrier attributes, aircraft type, and departure time. Additionally, the advanced models yield inverse logsum and/or weight parameter estimates capturing the underlying competitive dynamic among air-travel itineraries. The results are intuitive, and the advanced models outperform the more basic specifications with regard to statistical tests and behavioral interpretations, giving insight into the competitive dynamic of air-carrier itineraries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coldren, Gregory M. & Koppelman, Frank S. & Kasturirangan, Krishnan & Mukherjee, Amit, 2003. "Modeling aggregate air-travel itinerary shares: logit model development at a major US airline," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 361-369.
- Anderson, James E & Kraus, Marvin, 1981. "Quality of Service and the Demand for Air Travel," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 533-540, November.
- Reiss, Peter C & Spiller, Pablo T, 1989. "Competition and Entry in Small Airline Markets," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(2), pages 179-202, October.
- Philip K. Verleger Jr., 1972. "Models of the Demand for Air Transportation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 3(2), pages 437-457, Autumn.
- Suzuki, Yoshinori & Tyworth, John E. & Novack, Robert A., 2001. "Airline market share and customer service quality: a reference-dependent model," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 773-788, November.
- Morrison, Mark, 2000. "Aggregation Biases in Stated Preference Studies," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 215-230, June.
- Basar, Gözen & Bhat, Chandra, 2004. "A parameterized consideration set model for airport choice: an application to the San Francisco Bay Area," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 889-904, December.
- Proussaloglou, Kimon & Koppelman, Frank S., 1999. "The choice of air carrier, flight, and fare class," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 193-201.
- Wen, Chieh-Hua & Koppelman, Frank S., 2001. "The generalized nested logit model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 627-641, August.
- De Vany, Arthur, 1974. "The Revealed Value of Time in Air Travel," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(1), pages 77-82, February.
- Furuichi, Masahiko & Koppelman, Frank S., 1994. "An analysis of air travelers' departure airport and destination choice behavior," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 187-195, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:39:y:2005:i:4:p:345-365. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.