Structural change and decisions on investment allocation
In this article the growth models of Feldman (1928) and Mahalanobis (1953) are extended to analyse the implications of the process of structural change on the decisions of investment allocation. By using the device of vertical integration, their constructions are shown to be a particular case of the Pasinetti’s (1981) model of structural change. Their analysis is then carried out in a multi-sector framework, where both productivity and demand change at a particular rate in each of the sectors. A particular rate of investment allocation for each sector is established subject to the full employment of the labour force. Following these lines, we are able to put some of the Halevi’s (1996) descriptive observations into a formal context and within this context to analyse and to extend his ideas about the role of demand on the decisions of investment allocation. Finally, an additional condition is added to the Pasinetti’s model in order to fully characterise the equilibrium path in the most general version of his framework, where capital goods are needed to produce capital goods.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halevi, Joseph, 1996. "The significance of the theory of vertically integrated processes for the problem of economic development," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 163-171, June.
- T. W. Swan, 1956. "ECONOMIC GROWTH and CAPITAL ACCUMULATION," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 32(2), pages 334-361, November.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1971. "Shiftable Versus Non-Shiftable Capital: A Synthesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(3), pages 511-529, May.
- Lavoie, M, 1995.
"Pasinett's Vertically Hyper-Integrated Sectors and Natural Prices,"
9515e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Lavoie, Marc, 1997. "Pasinetti's Vertically Hyper-integrated Sectors and Natural Prices," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(4), pages 453-467, July.
- Hishiyama, Izumi, 1996. "Appraising Pasinetti's structural dynamics," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 127-134, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:streco:v:13:y:2002:i:2:p:249-258. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.