Stigler's approach to recovering the distribution of first significant digits in natural data sets
Benford's Law can be seen as one of the many first significant digit (FSD) distributions in a family of monotonically decreasing distributions. We examine the interrelationship between Benford and other monotonically decreasing distributions such as those arising from Stigler, Zipf, and the power laws. We examine the theoretical basis of the Stigler distribution and extend his reasoning by incorporating FSD first-moment information into information-theoretic methods. We present information-theoretic methods as a way to describe, connect, and unify these related distributions and thereby extend the reach of Benford's Law and FSD research more generally.
Volume (Year): 80 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pietronero, L. & Tosatti, E. & Tosatti, V. & Vespignani, A., 2001. "Explaining the uneven distribution of numbers in nature: the laws of Benford and Zipf," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 293(1), pages 297-304.
- Tam Cho, Wendy K. & Gaines, Brian J., 2007. "Breaking the (Benford) Law: Statistical Fraud Detection in Campaign Finance," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 61, pages 218-223, August.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Rodriguez R.J., 2004. "First Significant Digit Patterns From Mixtures of Uniform Distributions," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 58, pages 64-71, February.
- Grendar, Marian & Judge, George & Schechter, Laura, 2007. "An empirical non-parametric likelihood family of data-based Benford-like distributions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 380(C), pages 429-438.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:80:y:2010:i:2:p:82-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.