Bootstrap tests for structural change with infinite variance observations
The quest of structural change with infinite variance observations appears to be relatively common. Conventional residual CUSUM of squares test (RCUSQ) are unreliable in the presence of such behavior, having nonpivotal asymptotic null distributions. In this paper we propose a residual-based bootstrap approach to RCUSQ testing that is valid against a range of infinite variance processes. Our proposed method does not require the practitioners to specify knowledge for tailed index. Consistency and the rate of convergence for the estimated change point are also obtained. We also show via simulations that our asymptotic results provide good approximations in finite samples. In addition, we apply our results to investigate the original returns for NO.1 SDS using a historical data set that covers the period 1999-2002.
Volume (Year): 79 (2009)
Issue (Month): 19 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Su, Liangjun & Xiao, Zhijie, 2008. "Testing for parameter stability in quantile regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(16), pages 2768-2775, November.
- Horváth, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2003. "A bootstrap approximation to a unit root test statistic for heavy-tailed observations," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 163-173, April.
- Nunes, Luis C. & Kuan, Chung-Ming & Newbold, Paul, 1995. "Spurious Break," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(04), pages 736-749, August.
- Ibragimov, Rustam, 2008. "Heavy-tailedness and Threshold Sex Determination," Scholarly Articles 2623659, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ibragimov, Rustam, 2008. "Heavy-tailedness and threshold sex determination," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(16), pages 2804-2810, November.
- Piotr Kokoszka & Michael Wolf, 2004. "Subsampling the mean of heavy-tailed dependent observations," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 217-234, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:79:y:2009:i:19:p:1985-1995. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.