Bootstrap tests for structural change with infinite variance observations
The quest of structural change with infinite variance observations appears to be relatively common. Conventional residual CUSUM of squares test (RCUSQ) are unreliable in the presence of such behavior, having nonpivotal asymptotic null distributions. In this paper we propose a residual-based bootstrap approach to RCUSQ testing that is valid against a range of infinite variance processes. Our proposed method does not require the practitioners to specify knowledge for tailed index. Consistency and the rate of convergence for the estimated change point are also obtained. We also show via simulations that our asymptotic results provide good approximations in finite samples. In addition, we apply our results to investigate the original returns for NO.1 SDS using a historical data set that covers the period 1999-2002.
Volume (Year): 79 (2009)
Issue (Month): 19 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Su, Liangjun & Xiao, Zhijie, 2008. "Testing for parameter stability in quantile regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(16), pages 2768-2775, November.
- Ibragimov, Rustam, 2008. "Heavy-tailedness and threshold sex determination," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(16), pages 2804-2810, November.
- Ibragimov, Rustam, 2008. "Heavy-tailedness and Threshold Sex Determination," Scholarly Articles 2623659, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Horváth, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2003. "A bootstrap approximation to a unit root test statistic for heavy-tailed observations," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 163-173, April.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2000.
"Testing for structural change in conditional models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 93-115, July.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1998. "Testing for Structural Change in Conditional Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 310., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "REGHBREAK: RATS procedure to perform structural break test with bootstrapped p-values," Statistical Software Components RTS00176, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate structural break test with Hansen's fixed regressor bootstrap," Statistical Software Components RTZ00089, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Piotr Kokoszka & Michael Wolf, 2004. "Subsampling the mean of heavy-tailed dependent observations," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 217-234, March.
- Nunes, Luis C. & Kuan, Chung-Ming & Newbold, Paul, 1995. "Spurious Break," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(04), pages 736-749, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:79:y:2009:i:19:p:1985-1995. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.