A note on the closed-form identification of regression models with a mismeasured binary regressor
This note considers the identification of a nonparametric regression model with an unobserved 0-1 dichotomous regressor. The sample consists of a dependent variable and a 0-1 dichotomous proxy of the unobserved regressor. We obtain nonparametric identification of every element in the model as a closed-form function of the observed moments or densities. Our identification strategy does not require any additional sample information, such as instrumental variables or a secondary sample. The closed-form solution may be used to construct estimators of the unknowns.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 78 (2008)
Issue (Month): 12 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huwang, Longcheen & Gene Hwang, J. T., 2002. "Prediction and confidence intervals for nonlinear measurement error models without identifiability information," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 355-362, July.
- Aprajit Mahajan, 2006. "Identification and Estimation of Regression Models with Misclassification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 631-665, 05.
- Erickson, Timothy & Whited, Toni M., 2002. "Two-Step Gmm Estimation Of The Errors-In-Variables Model Using High-Order Moments," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 776-799, June.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2004.
"Estimation of Average Treatment Effects With Misclassification,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
210, Econometric Society.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2007. "Estimation of Average Treatment Effects with Misclassification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 537-551, 03.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2003. "Estimation of Average Treatment Effects With Misclassification," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 556, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Sep 2006.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Constructing Instruments for Regressions with Measurement Error when no Additional Data are Available, with an Application to Patents and R&D," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1201-1214, September.
- Bollinger, Christopher R., 1996. "Bounding mean regressions when a binary regressor is mismeasured," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 387-399, August.
- Klepper, Steven, 1988. "Bounding the effects of measurement error in regressions involving dichotomous variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 343-359, March.
- Xiaohong Chen & Yingyao Hu & Arthur Lewbel, 2007.
"Nonparametric identification and estimation of nonclassical errors-in-variables models without additional information,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP18/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xiaohong Chen & Yingyao Hu & Arthur Lewbel, 2007. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonclassical Errors-in-Variables Models Without Additional Information," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 676, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Aigner, Dennis J., 1973. "Regression with a binary independent variable subject to errors of observation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 49-59, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:78:y:2008:i:12:p:1473-1479. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.