A note on the closed-form identification of regression models with a mismeasured binary regressor
This note considers the identification of a nonparametric regression model with an unobserved 0-1 dichotomous regressor. The sample consists of a dependent variable and a 0-1 dichotomous proxy of the unobserved regressor. We obtain nonparametric identification of every element in the model as a closed-form function of the observed moments or densities. Our identification strategy does not require any additional sample information, such as instrumental variables or a secondary sample. The closed-form solution may be used to construct estimators of the unknowns.
Volume (Year): 78 (2008)
Issue (Month): 12 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur Lewbel, 2003.
"Estimation of Average Treatment Effects With Misclassification,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
556, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Sep 2006.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2007. "Estimation of Average Treatment Effects with Misclassification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 537-551, 03.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2004. "Estimation of Average Treatment Effects With Misclassification," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 210, Econometric Society.
- Klepper, Steven, 1988. "Bounding the effects of measurement error in regressions involving dichotomous variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 343-359, March.
- Bollinger, Christopher R., 1996. "Bounding mean regressions when a binary regressor is mismeasured," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 387-399, August.
- Huwang, Longcheen & Gene Hwang, J. T., 2002. "Prediction and confidence intervals for nonlinear measurement error models without identifiability information," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 355-362, July.
- Xiaohong Chen & Yingyao Hu & Arthur Lewbel, 2007.
"Nonparametric identification and estimation of nonclassical errors-in-variables models without additional information,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP18/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xiaohong Chen & Yingyao Hu & Arthur Lewbel, 2007. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonclassical Errors-in-Variables Models Without Additional Information," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 676, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Aigner, Dennis J., 1973. "Regression with a binary independent variable subject to errors of observation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 49-59, March.
- Aprajit Mahajan, 2006. "Identification and Estimation of Regression Models with Misclassification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 631-665, 05.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Constructing Instruments for Regressions with Measurement Error when no Additional Data are Available, with an Application to Patents and R&D," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1201-1214, September.
- Erickson, Timothy & Whited, Toni M., 2002. "Two-Step Gmm Estimation Of The Errors-In-Variables Model Using High-Order Moments," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 776-799, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:78:y:2008:i:12:p:1473-1479. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.